Kydex Press Question

KYEdge

I'm gathering materials for creating a press. For the foam material, I've read of several different types of things being used. EVA, neoprene foam, sleep pad material, etc. What about the blue foam used in home construction? The only reference number on the piece I have is UE280306. Is it the right density to be used? What type of compression should I look for in the material?

Thanks in advance for thoughts!

Kenny

I'm not familiar with the foam you are referencing. You want a nice dense foam that will hold its form well. I have found that the sleeping pad foam works well, but you will have to double layer it. The foam that Boss sells on his supply site is probably the best and is fairly inexpensive.

I had to read this one and think for a bit. No, the blue foam used in home construction will not work.

Thanks for the replies! I wasn't sure, had it laying around, and thought I would check. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I go along. :)

Best regards,
Kenny

Give neoprene foam a try. I've been using it for years and it works great! Once it stops molding the sheaths nice and crisp, throw it away and replace it.

Last edited:
I am looking for advise on this subject as well. Has anyone tried to use kydex over leather? My thought is to cut into the kydex and use it as a sort of overlay to the leather. This will be for a Bowie, 12" x 3 1/2" x 1/4" blade. I think it may work if I make a rough leather sheath then wrap the heated kydex over the leather. Any thoughts? This will be my first kydex project.
Thanks!

Last edited:
I am looking for advise on this subject as well. Has anyone tried to use kydex over leather? My thought is to cut into the kydex and use it as a sort of overlay to the leather. This will be for a Bowie, 12" x 3 1/2" x 1/4" blade. I think it may work if I make a rough leather sheath then wrap the heated kydex over the leather. Any thoughts? This will be my first kydex project.
Thanks!

Use 2oz leather and glue it to the kydex with contact cement. Then form the Kydex as usual.

Back