Knifemaking trivia question #1

Heat treating is the process of heating steel to open and expand the moloculer structure so that when it is placed into a quenchent (i.e. water, oil, air) The open gaps are filled with carbon and the stucture closes around said carbon to create a tougher stiffer material.

At least that's how I understand it.

Jake

Heat treating is the process we use to change the physical properties of the steel by using temperature to control the diffusion of carbon atoms throughout the steel.

Any heating and cooling process that creates a physical or property change to the material (steel).

Why we do it: To achieve desired physical properties of the given material.

Because waving a chicken foot and forging on a new full moon isn't enough?

Heat Treatment is what you get from your father-in-law when you get caught with a 20 year old blond ( that isn't his daughter). The Cold Treatment is what you wife will give you when she finds out.
Stacy

Heat Treatment is what you get from your father-in-law when you get caught with a 20 year old blond ( that isn't his daughter). The Cold Treatment is what you wife will give you when she finds out.
Stacy

Now that is the first truly accurate scientific explanation yet!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Stacy

this one is a keeper and I will try to be a master in it

Heat treating is the process that turns a regular piece of steel into a knife. All other steel scraps shaped like knives are never truly knives until they've been hardened to take and hold an edge, but hopefully not to hard to where they chip, crack and/or break.

Stacy

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Im used to "serious Stacy". You caught me off gaurd.

Sean

Back