Knife vs. Gun show

jkf96a

Which is better, to go to a local Gun and Knife type show where there might be 2 or 3 makers, or to go to a dedicated knife show? Let's assume that the gun show is local and the knife show requires travel. Where are you more likely to sell knives?

Jason, besides the Blade Show this year I went to two Turkey and Deer shows, one here in Jacksonville and one in Birmingham. The one in Birmingham listed itself as the largest Turkey and Deer Show in the world. There was a ton of traffic at the Birmingham show and not so much at the Jacksonville show.

I will not do the Turkey and Deer shows again (nor Gun and Knife shows). While there is a lot of traffic, it appears that few are willing to part with more than $10 - $40 at one time. My knives were priced in the $125 - $600 range and while people looked no one purchased anything except for several knives I had on sale at $50.

I will only go to Knife Shows from now on.

also it depends a lot on your market , the normal Gun & Knife show attendee generally looks at sub $50 knives , if at all.

With an only knife show , the customers are there for knives , so they are knife collectors , users , buyers , etc.

One drawback is you are a little fish in a big pond , so you would do better to either have a unique style or an attractive price point , with either you want rock solid fit & finish.

I am not a knife maker more of a leathersmith but I do resell knives. I have had better luck selling knives at gun shows, I guess it is because most who buy guns also get knives and they are alot cheaper. I really think it depends on your location more than anything.

Without custom knife collectors present you cant sell custom knives. Knife shows draw the custom knife collectors, gun shows dont. Big knife shows draw bigger knife collectors. I have made some customers at gun shows but I had to work my way up the ranks with the $50 knives and educated my local gun show crowd by talking until my throat hurt to sell $300knives. When I went to my first knife show I soon found out the knife customer is already educated and the sales pitch is not needed. Its really hard to sell a $1500 knife to a gun person as they just cant see it as an investment. Antique knives is a different story. It seems all the gun folk know about them but still want to buy them cheap.

Last edited:
I have a question. What would be a good average number of knives to sell, at a knife show, in the $200 to $600 range?
I do quite a few gun and knife shows but have never been to a knife only show.
I do understand location and style make a difference. I have sold anywhere from 2 to 9 knives in at weekend show. I would love to go to a knife show if I had a better chance to sell more. Wade

I have a question. What would be a good average number of knives to sell, at a knife show, in the $200 to $600 range?
I do quite a few gun and knife shows but have never been to a knife only show.
I do understand location and style make a difference. I have sold anywhere from 2 to 9 knives in at weekend show. I would love to go to a knife show if I had a better chance to sell more. Wade

http://knifedogs.com/showthread.php?t=600 cool 1

Back