knife vice

I would highly recommend that you put a knife board under the blade. It can keep you from walking onto or backing into the point of the blade. It will also prevent you from running the point of the blade into your hand while filing or sanding the blade and will give the blade some support. Keep the edge of the blade inside the edge of the board and it will help prevent you slicing your hand. To made a blade board take something like a 1 1/2X1Xwhatever board and cut a dagger point in it to follow the curve of the end of the blade. Of course if you have the blade clamped in the vice so that you can work on your handle it's not needed.

Doug

Thanks Doug that's a very good point , I think I will end up making more then style to go with different blades.

Mine is almost a twin that I've had and used for over 12 years. It has a piece of wood with leather on the inside screwed to the left side and the right side has a piece of 3/8 metal with leather on it on the right had side. The metal has a hole where the screw for tightening, there is only one on mine, will enter a bit. It has a narrow "U" shaped piece cut out on each sides opposite. This will allow you to slide pieces, blades, etc., over on an angle as well as being able to turn the box 360. Frank

One other suggestion, unbolt the vice from the bench top and turn it 90° so that the blade will not hang over the bench. That will also help prevent anyone from walking into the point. Even with a knife board under it that will prevent a stabbing you really don't want to walk into the point.

Doug

I have seen the pipe knife vises before and they look a tad bit more difficult to make, so I will be coping your style in the next week. Thank you

i made this one a few years ago and works well.. I take the lower plate and slide it out to support my blades while the top one stayin the tube clamping at the ricasso area. I just need to cut up a few longer plates . They are both linded with a piece of pond liner rubber.. So far so good.

Back