Knife that nearly took my finger

Cameron Wilcox

This was a fathers day gift for a friend whose girlfriend wanted to buy him one. The week before fathers day week end I had the knife finished but I needed to make the sheath, but before I did that I cut my right index finger with it. Here I am 3 and a half months later and it is finally finished.
keep1.jpgkeep2.jpgkeep3.jpgkeep4.jpgkeep.jpgkeed5.jpg
Blade: .103 W2 from Aldo
Handle: stabilized bocote
I forgot to get exact dimensions but dimensions of the sketch it was made from are 4.25" handle, 8.5" overall blade is around 1"-1.25" wide

Last edited:
How bad was the cut? Let's see a picture of that too.

Nice knife also. I make a very similar kydex sheath.

Cameron,
Glad you are on the mend and have been able to finish the sheath for that sweet looking knife.

That sheath came out great and the Bocote sure looks handsome.

The cut was pretty severe. I severed both of the tendons in the finger, the nerve and the artery.
Just so it isn't too graphic I'll post it after stitching it up before the surgery to repair it.
stitches.jpg
I'm very pleased with how this handle turned out and I'll definitely be using it again.

The new owner of this knife went to Utah for opening deer season and sent me some pictures of a deer he used it on so I'm excited to see how it performed because this is the first knife that I have sold that is likely to see much use. I'm really exited to find out how that went.

That's a bummer how bad you cut your finger. Will you have 100% use of it when it is all healed up? My dad just did similar damage to himself with a runaway angle grinder. He's having to go through physical therapy to get his mobility back.

That's a bummer how bad you cut your finger. Will you have 100% use of it when it is all healed up? My dad just did similar damage to himself with a runaway angle grinder. He's having to go through physical therapy to get his mobility back.

It can take a year or longer to heal and really know the extent of your recovery from an injury like that!
Ask me how I know? :biggrin: LOL LOL

Hopefully I will be able to get most of the range of motion back but it is unlikely I'll get it all. Same story with the sensation because i completely severed the nerve its unlikely I'll ever get the same nerve density back. But I should be able to get it to a somewhat normal condition

Back