Knife Steel Nerd - AEBL testing

BossDog

KnifeDogs.com & USAknifemaker.com Owner
Staff member
Knife Steel Nerd is Larrin Thomas https://knifesteelnerds.com/about-me/ , a metallurgist that has taken on researching a publishing data around knife steel..
Here is an article on AEBL. https://knifesteelnerds.com/2019/03...WfRSbF8S3IkI4R3bz3eszx-Kn0gCVl3-Fv1QBBSY9btFU

If you are into seriously mind boggling data and research in soul crushing detail, this is the guy for you.

I highly recommend putting this guy on your reading list. The data is so dense, it's a slog to get through but he does a good job in summation and making it as accessible as possible.

We are one of his Patreon subscribers and encourage you to do the same. Kevin Cashen, the metal genius he is, can't be expected to carry the load alone on high detail scientific research on knife steels/heat treat and Larrin is doing a good job for all of us.

Thanks Boss! That link came at just the right time. I've got some AEB-L arriving soon and it will be my first try with stainless steels.

Yep. Mr Cashen and Mr Larrin are my go to’s when I’m trying to expand what little metallurgy knowledge I have.

Been following Larrin for some months now, the articles give me a headache but I learn from every one of them.

I bought some AEBL that I haven't tried yet...after hearing John Wilson's solid recommendation. His explanation was a bit easier to understand...lol. But a great article that confirms John's findings.

I'm currently using A2 but would like something a bit more rust resistant.

Thank you! I really like AEB-L and have been using it for my chef's knives, folders, and smaller edc's. That article, if you can slog through it, was fantastic and very well done.

I love his articles too. I truly appreciate someone like him with his knowledge takes the time to publish the info free of charge. He's obviously taken a lot of time to put this together without any profit.

I like his articles, sometimes it's a little to much to read. I wish there was a redneck version of them but I appreciate the time he puts into them.
AEB-L has been a good steel I like. I'm just about to finish a kitchen knife in it that we will use in our kitchen so will be fun to see how it holds up in daily use.

I've been a Patreon supporter of his since last fall. He is providing well researched, pertinent information for us in a digestible form.
I have all of his articles printed out and kept in notebooks.
I'm too old to remember all this data and it takes me several reads to absorb his information.
I haven't found anything else to compare, unless you track down and read Kevin Cashen's posts.

Back