knife show

J.Leclair

Hey guys. I am going to be setting up at my first knife show at the end of september. What advice would you give to someone who has never done a show before? other than my knives and buisness cards what should I have on my table? should I get dressed up or just wear nice street clothes? suggestions for displaying my knives on the tabe, realy any tips and pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I am no expert but I have done a few shows. One think is have your name displayed somewhere on you table so people walking by can see it. you want people to know who you are. Also I like too have the knives arranged so the handle is closes to the customer so it invites them to pick it up.
good luck
Steve

Jason

You are on new ground here. I presume the show you are attending is the Reynolds Museum show. Most knife shows are knife and gun sportsman kind of guys. This is a metal arts show at a museum metal arts show with a different audience. It may be best to contact Jim Takenaka and ask his opinion.

Rob!

Rob yes it is the Reynolds Museum show. I will get ahold of Jim, who has been more than helpfull to me already, and see what he suggests.
thanks guys.

Please don't put band aids on your table. You can keep some behind the table in case someone really needs one, but I always thought it was tacky when the dealer just scatters them around their table, as if everyone that comes by is going to cut themselves on his knives.

I helped Greg Haile at his first table in April at OKCA. Greg brought bar stools. It allowed him to see the customers eye to eye. It saves the back from standing the entire time. I loaned him my 100+ year old anvil for a display piece with his forged damascus blank he had just made. The anvil really brought people in.

His friend Chris who made the kydex sheaths came one day with his wife. She stayed at the table with me while Greg and Chris went and visited a couple other makers. When they returned she had guys stacked up at the table wanting to see the knives. So... Bring a pretty girl if you can.

Greg made quite a few knives that were available. He had some neckers that were just under $100 and he sold 8-9?
I know another high end maker had jewelry etc made from his damascus scraps and sold enough to pay his table fee and gas from the sale of the small dollar items.

Sell to the women as much as the men. I saw one maker get asked about a railroad spike knife by a lady who was with her husband. The maker explained how he made it looking directly at the husband the entire time. The lady politely but firmly explained that she made spike knives and her husband knew nothing about forging or knives....

Offer business cards to everyone. If you take custom orders be sure to ask show goers that look at your knives if they didn't see what they wanted, would they be interested in talking about a custom piece?

Be sure to be knowledgeable about the steel you use and heat treat. I was shocked at the BS a couple other makers spewed when I visited their tables. I know from experience that most peoples eyes glaze over when discussing martensite, pearlite and the effects of triple quench on grain size with 52100.....but don't dumb it down to make the person feel stupid or worse peddle mis-information.

Smile. A lot. I spent 3 days at the OKCA show. Greg only needed help occasionally so I cruised the aisles the entire time. There were a lot of smiling people and the grumpy ones stood out.

That's a couple things off the tops of my head. Good luck!!!!

I think I need a bit more information about the specific show. The reason being is that there is a HUGE difference depending on if it's a "knives only" show, a gun/knife show, or an "Art" show....but I'll just generalize some information now.

Much has been covered already, but I think it's essential that you cater to the "class" of clients you encounter at a given show. For example, a gun/knife show will generally draw a "lower dollar" crowd, which means a couple of things for anyone selling at the event..... 1. Dress "down" at bit, but be clean and neat. Remember, you're either establishing, or maintaining a reputation, so dress and act according to the type of show your attending, and the "class" of clients you expect. 2. Be watchful of your table. Don't wonder off, or be talking to the "fella" behind you. Your attention is always focused at potential customers, and if your not at your table, or not paying attention, your going to miss customers. Even IF sales are dead slow, you've got to be there, with a smile and a kind word for anyone who comes by. I cannot count the number of times I have walked around any type of "show", and seen table holders sitting, talking with another vendor, reading a book, or just looking down in the dumps. Everyone who comes by is a potential customer, and they see those things, and more often then not, give that table a wide berth. If your not exhausted by the end of the show, then you didn't put enough effort into it.

Be prepared to honestly and openly answer questions....even if you've answered the same question 500 times already. I once had a collector at the Blade Show in Atlanta come up to my table and ask me a question that I had already answered MANY times... I answered the question with enthusiasm and got a huge smile in return. He then pointed to the highest priced knife on the table and said, "I'll take that one." After the deal was done, he told me that he had been standing across the isle for about 45 mins, listening to me answer the same question over and over again, with the same zeal as I had the first time. The moral of the story is that you are being watched all the time, so treat EVERYONE as you would like to be treated.

OK, table wise, a nice table covering that sets off your knives...that might sound easy, but it's not. Solid colors work the best, with patterned table covers, and/or fur/hides being the worst thing you can do (of course unless you're offering fur trade era pieces) Definitely a nicely made "sign" with your name on it, which generally works best located at the rear center of the table. Business cards are a must have. Historically, about 30-45 days after I attend a major Knife Show, I get a surge of inquires and orders from folks who picked up my business card.

Always display your knives with the handles toward the isle/customers, but be mindful/watchful for children, who can grab something in a heartbeat.....and you don't want that!

Finally, STICK TO YOUR PRICING. Each knife should have either a business sized card, or at the very least a small sticker with the price on it.
One thing that happens at all shows, regardless of type, is the "Let's wait until Sunday afternoon when he drops his prices" crowd. If you want to really tick off other table holders, and especially knifemakers, drop your prices on Sunday afternoon. When you do that, your telling everyone that your knives are not worth what you had them priced at the beginning of the show, and that you're willing to settle for what you can get. Anyone who gets a "Sunday Sale" knife will tell everyone they know, and you will quickly find yourself in a position where everyone will believe they can "talk you down" on any knife.

OH, and one more thing....when you get back home, it's a requirement to post on the forums about the show, and how it went for you! :)

Mr. Caffery, first of all thank you for taking the time to answer my thread. I am a big fan of your work (as well as many others on the forum)
the show I will be attending is a metal art show, it is the first year for this show.

Hey Ed , why is it that you say a hide or fur is a bad table covering ?

I too will be attending my first show , on the first part of October. I'm just trying to get everything ready , like having knives made to take.

Dwane,

Hides and furs have a number of drawbacks for table coverings.....because of the coloration of most of them, many knives blend in, rather than stand out. Although I love them, there are always a number of folks at a show who seem to have some kind of aversion to furs/hides....and when I'm at a knife show, I don't even want to take the chance that something about my table will repel a potential customer. It's all about tailoring your table and yourself to the crowd.....being successful at shows is more than just taking the best knives you can make... You also have to set yourself up for success, and that means paying attention to everything about yourself and your table.

J:
Metal Arts show.....HMMMM. I remember several years ago they tried that in Seattle, WA. It didn't work out so well. Most of those who came were expecting an "Art Gallery" type of atmosphere, and were not happy with the "tables" arrangement. This is were the show promoter comes in. IF they do their job correctly, it could be a screaming success, but if they don't, you might be standing there all weekend, listening to the crickets chirp. You just never know with a "new" show. Have you seen any media anywhere around announcing/promoting the show? If not, then it's a good bet that most people have not either. Unless a show has a long history, those who run it can easily make or break the show based on their promotion efforts.

Thanks again Mr. Caffrey. I realy hope that I'm not standing there all W.E with my thumb in my bum but it only cost $50.00 for a sales table so not gonna break the bank if that winds up being the case. The venue for the show is the reynolds alberta museum. I emailed the fellow co-ordinating the show asking him for any suggestions he may have. He is also a knifemaker, and infact was the one who approched me with an invite to attend.

Thanks Guy's for all the info, Mine is a large Gun and Knife show in Dallas that show that weekend before hunting season draws a huge crowd. Me and another maker went in together on a table should be fun .

Good luck with your show A.W. my show is a month into archery season but a month before rifle season.

A.W.: Some advice....since the show you are going to is a Gun & Knife show, your going to likely be dealing with the type of crowd that I mentioned earlier. The biggest hurdle at a Gun & Knife show is EDUCATION. Most of the folks at these type of shows are not very familiar with custom knives (although you will run into a few). Most of them are going to ask you questions such as.... "How does it compare to a XXXXX knife (insert any brand of factory made knives in there). The trick is to show/tell them the advantages of one of YOUR custom knive, without bashing their "old favorite" brand of knife. The way I used to do this was to tote along a small TV with a built in VCR (now a days it would be a DVD) with me going through the ABS cutting tests with one of my knives. I also had video of one of my hunters going through a Mule deer, a Whitetail, and an Elk without being sharpened. Then, a short segment on how easy it was/is to resharpen that same Hunter. It's a way to show the superiority of a custom blade, without standing there talking, sounding like your tooting your own horn.

Early in my knifemaking career, I would "loan out" knives off my table to hunting guides and other such folks (here Guides require a license, and most are happy to show it to you). I would make them the following deal (after I got all their information): They could use the knife for the entire hunting season, and then they could either return it to me, or buy it. Sure it was risky, but I never had a single individual return a knife, nor did anyone ever "filtch out" on buying the knife from me. It got a number of my knives "out there", and got "word of mouth" advertising that I could have never gotten otherwise. It might be something that many would not be comfortable doing, but it worked well for me. Since guided hunts are a big thing here in Montana, getting one of my knives into the hands of a Guide insured that it would be exposed to several dozen people over the course of a season......and you know what? The folks who pay big bucks for a Montana Deer or Elk hunt, have no problem dropping a few hundred bucks on a hunting knife....and want it even more because they saw their Guide using one!:les:

So, it's also about exposing your knives to the "right" crowd.....those who not only appreciate a well made custom knife, but also have the money to buy one. :biggrin:

This is a very timely topic, as I will be selling for the first time next month. What makes a good table covering? Color, Material, ?

It's really going to depend on the knives you going to put on it.... , personally, I like the "velour" type materials. It's usually an all day affair when I go looking for a new table cover. I take a couple of knives with me, got to the local fabric/sewing stores and have at it. It's not uncommon for me to have 4-5 bolts of fabric out on the table, laying knives out on each until I find what works best with the knives. You can figure on $9-11 per yard. An 8' table is going to take about 4 yards of material to cover.
Something that I often do, that I think is kinda classy, is to go to a frame shop (where the matte and frame pictures). Find some matting that "sets off" your knives, and get several large ovals of that matting cut. Use them as a "display platter" for individual knives. I tend to do that at the "higher end" shows.

Back