Knife sharpening system for noobie?

Mark Barone

This may be a controversial topic but I'll ask anyway. Any recommendations for someone with no experience in sharpening knifes? I was a butcher for decades but our knifes were always sent out, and it's not the same as the first time. So keep in mind My sharpening experience is in the type of knife sharpener below.i wouldn't mind spending 50-100 dollars right now.

Attachments

• IMG_3255.jpg
    IMG_3255.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 2
Make a block at 20 degrees and drill a couple of holes on your grinder work rest so you can quickly attach and remove the guide and with the blade held against the block you get the correct angle to then do the initial secondary bevel on a 240 grit belt, done carefully you will feel when there is a light wire edge and then finish with 600 grit belt or the lansky type sharpener if you prefer. Another idea for those who can not hold a steady angle on a sharpening stone is to make a holder that sits the stone at 20 degrees from the vertical because it is much easier to hold the knife vertical and maintain a constant angle.
q0NEft1l.jpg

Thanks Gruff, I am having trouble visualizing where this jig is placed on the table, and understanding if part of blade is on the block how is that part to get sharpened.

Ed Caffrey shows on his web site how to get it hair popping sharp in about 20 seconds. Using a dull smooth(400 grit) sanding belt and a buffing wheel...might be able to adapt to your belt sander? Worth a look...I like that he didn't check it before he shaved on the video...He KNEW how sharp it was lol. Experience....

Thanks Gruff, I am having trouble visualizing where this jig is placed on the table, and understanding if part of blade is on the block how is that part to get sharpened.
This is my set-up RG. the block has a couple of pins that slip into those on the work rest.
i4QcL7bl.jpg

By holding the blade, or rather the ricasso against the block you get the 20 degree angle for the secondary bevel and with muscle memory can then hold it against the belt.
IDI3cdUl.jpg

After that I finish on the scary sharp system for all my knives so I can guarantee that all are sharpened at a constant angle (and are sharp).
https://www.scarysharp.co.nz/

Ed Caffrey shows on his web site how to get it hair popping sharp in about 20 seconds. Using a dull smooth(400 grit) sanding belt and a buffing wheel...might be able to adapt to your belt sander? Worth a look...I like that he didn't check it before he shaved on the video...He KNEW how sharp it was lol. Experience....

I'll check it out . Thanks

This is my set-up RG. the block has a couple of pins that slip into those on the work rest.
i4QcL7bl.jpg

By holding the blade, or rather the ricasso against the block you get the 20 degree angle for the secondary bevel and with muscle memory can then hold it against the belt.
IDI3cdUl.jpg

After that I finish on the scary sharp system for all my knives so I can guarantee that all are sharpened at a constant angle (and are sharp).
https://www.scarysharp.co.nz/

Ok Gruff, don't give up on me yet. If the blade is leaned up against the block, how does that guide get close to the belt? I must be looking at this all wrong.

Ok Gruff, don't give up on me yet. If the blade is leaned up against the block, how does that guide get close to the belt? I must be looking at this all wrong.

The block is just to give you a 20 degree guide and if you have the knife against it and "set your wrists" you can hold it against the belt at the same angle.

Back