Knife sharpeners

Gliden07

Anyone have any experience with the Tormek T8 water sharpening machine or the various clones (Grizzl, Wen)? Ben thinking about getting one but I never have heard of anyone in hear using them. And since I trust my Knifedog Family waaaaay more than the Tomek ads figured I'd ask.

I have an older model, the Tormek Supergrind 2000.
I use it and like it very much, but they are expensive.
The advantages are that it's a good way to get a consistent grind angle that is reproducible, plus the fact that the water keeps the edge from heating up.
Larrin discussed this effect in one of his articles.

Disadvantages are the initial cost, and the fact that the whole process is a bit more complicated than some other techniques.
If I need a quick edge on a knife I also use the Razor Edge system.
You have the heat issue and less consistency, but I can put down a very serviceable edge in just a minute or two, and it is way cheaper.

I own the 10 inch grizzly model with a coarse and fine dressing stone,I use a KME for sharpening but I use the water wheel to put the initial edge on my blades.I used to use my 2x72 to do this but never liked it.It only takes a few minutes to put a edge on a blade with a final grind thickness of 20000 were if I was to do it by hand would take hours.

I have the Tormek T-7 with most all the attachments. It works very good and I'm impressed how well it does work for sharpening. I ordered the thing back on Oct, 2012 (didn't realize I'd had it that long). I used it a good bit for the first few yr, but now I do most of my sharpening on 2X72 running in reverse. I really need to put the Tormek up for sale.

I was looking at the Wen. $150 and the holder kit to make it usable 40ish dollars. Want the Tormek stone to change the coarseness of the stone and the tool to even the stone out. All in it looks about $300 plus or minus a few bucks. Just not sure on if it's worth it or not.

I use the tormek t-7 as well. It’s pretty old now but still works great. That said, I purchased the 4000 grit Japanese stone for it. I think that was a pretty expensive addition. I prefer to sharpen on it vs belts. As was stated already, makes it easy to get a consistent angle and don’t have to worry about overheating the edge. I do the initial edge with the coarse stone, dress it smooth and clean up, the swap to the 4000 grit stone for the final polish.

I’ve not looked at the t-8. I really like these machines but I’m not sure it’s worth the high price. I took one over from my grandfather who used it to sharpen wood turning tools. His health has kept him from doing much for a while.

Back