Knife schools

Got steel

Hey ya`ll. Can anyone tell me of some beginner knife maker classes that might be available? I live in florida.but I will travel I found the blade Smith schools and just was wondering if there were some others.any info would help

I would consider a few days of one on one instruction but would need to talk with you first in order to get a better idea of your interests and current level of knowledge. My number is listed below, give me a call if you'd like to discuss it.

If you are looking at forging knives, not stock removal, then bladesmithing is the way to go.

I also live in Florida. A couple of years ago when I retired I went to the American Bladesmith's Society school in North Carolina. I had never forged a thing in my life. 2 weeks of intense training with two different masters. Learned more in those two weeks than I thought possible. If you plan on becoming a full time bladesmith some day join the ABS to start counting time towards your rating today. You will be glad you did.

A private one on one class of a day or two can be helpful if you are not sure about this. Look at the overall cost of each to see which method best fits your need and budget of both time & money.

Good luck on your journey! I'm in South Florida, where are you? If close enough you might like to come by and try forging a small knife or just to check out the process.

North Carolina has 2 knife making programs that I am aware of. The first is offered by Montgomery Community College and the second by Haywood Community College.

I'm not aware of any other schools, although you might be able to find a local maker willing to provide instruction.

Last edited:
I'll be happy to help you with what little I know about Knifemaking. Where are you in Florida? I'm near Pensacola.

Wow! Ya'll are great thanks every one of you for your response. I live in destin area. Panhandle of Florida. Ed I met u at the blade show. Hope you are doing good right now I'm going to focus on simple fun utilities, hunting knives ect. To learn how to use this new Wilmont grinder. But I want to be as good as I can . And have fun doing. My name is Scott Gallagher phone is 850-866-8264 email scottgallagher04@gmail.com also do want to learn to forge.

Scott, I can HIGHLY recommend Ed Caffrey as a fantastic teacher to teach you bladesmithing. I've been there.......several times. It is never a disappointment and the scenery there is an added bonus. Ed's classes are worth every penny.

You've got a variety of options here with some other great folks too. I've never been to their shops but you couldn't go wrong with them either. No matter who you pick, seeking out someone to take classes from is a smart move and money well spent. Good for you.

Here is another vote for Ed's class, I went and it was worth every penny. Ed really takes the time to make sure you get off on the right foot with knifemaking.

Back