Knife Polish

My company produces abrasive powders for industrial polishing applications and one of my goals is to determine the best format for this material as a product for polishing knives. Here's a link to one of the powders we make, called Mg-35. Our latest focus is on synthetic spinel powder/diamond, which is similar to Mg-35, but much harder and more abrasive.

Would a dry powder be ok or do knife makers prefer the abrasive in a liquid suspension or a cream? The powder is very dusty and becomes airborne easily, so using it dry requires a dust mask.

The material is a ceramic powder with diamond fused into the particles. As it is being used, the larger particles break down, which enables polishing from a coarse surface finish to a mirror-like appearance in one step.

I can send a few samples out to anyone interested in evaluating it. Thanks!!

oldknife

I would give some a try, I take knives swords and gun's to 2000 and 5000 grit and have a dry compound that I mix with with water and use on a piece of damp levi to give it a final polish, I do all this by hand, always looking for something better. E-mail me and I will send you some pictures of a RR spike I just finished, forgot how to shrink my pictures so can't post here. Deane oldcat35o@sbcglobal.net

I would give some a try, I take knives swords and gun's to 2000 and 5000 grit and have a dry compound that I mix with with water and use on a piece of damp levi to give it a final polish, I do all this by hand, always looking for something better. E-mail me and I will send you some pictures of a RR spike I just finished, forgot how to shrink my pictures so can't post here. Deane oldcat35o@sbcglobal.net
That's cool, Dean - I'll email you and check it out. And I can send you a few samples too if you email back your mailing address.

I would like to try it, especially if you make a paste of it. I like a mirror finish on my blades and currently hand sand to 12000 grit.
My industrial clients ask for similar particle sizes but they always buy dry powder. I think a paste is a good idea and I am going to be developing a few prototypes to have guys like you check them out. I can either sent you some powder now or we can wait until I've produced some pastes - just let me know. You can email me directly with your mailing address: Daren@EnviroDiamond.com