Knife Maker Web Sites

Les Robertson

Guru of Steel
Hey guys,

Why is it that so many of you do not price your knives on the website????

From purely a consumer point of view. When I go to a makers site and there are no prices...generally (not always) I no longer pursue that maker and their work.

My thinking is that if they don't know how to price their knives........

So what are the reasons?

Interesting Point!!!

The ones without prices are Free Les!!! I'm very surprised you didn't know this! I've been sucking them up for years:D

I think there is a big difference between a standard factory-knife pricing and a custom knife pricing. While I can go to a store's website and puruse pricing of different factory knives, the thing to remember is that I am not a store, and I don't make factory knives. I am an individual making unique and individual items. Each knife has different considerations, both concrete and abstract which can influence pricing. For me, if the customer is truly interested in having a custom knife made, he/she will contact me to disucss it further.

Of course, I'm just a hobby maker, so I have no "standard line-up", if you will. I'm also not concerned with volume of sales. If I was a full time maker using this craft to pay my bills, maybe my view point would be different, especially if I had standard offerings in addition to my more customized work.

--nathan

Several reasons.

Steel.
Scales.
Blade Length.
Finish.

I put up pics that are representative of my knives. No two are the same. They are custom, meaning they are made to the customers specs. So I could put starting at $250 for a four inch blade, but it could end up being $400 depending on what they want. When someone contacts me about a knife design and they want a price I do give them the "starting at $whatever amount for that design" Then if they are interested we work out the specifics and I give them a firm price then.

My website is strictly to get my work out there for people to see. If someone wants to order a knife I want them to contact me directly. I hardly have any knives available for sale. If I did though, I'd list it with a price. I hope that all makes sense.
-John

I will say that I've seen makers post a blurb about pricing on their pages. Something along the line of:

"Pricing of items varies; however, pricing for a typical {insert style of knife here} starts at $200 and moves up depending on materials and options. Please feel free to contact me for further information and to discuss pricing."

I think a line like this will help to answer curious consumers as well as leave your options open.

Edit to add: Good point about knives-in-stock, John. If I had a knife listed for sale on my site, it would most definitely have a price. The problem is, most of us just use a website to allow people to see our past work, not what our current stock or offerings are.

--nathan

Last edited:
while my pricing can change significantly depending on options (mostly handle material)

all of the knives pictured on my site have a blurb giving specifics (steel, handle, length) and a price for a similar piece

now obviously if they see a micarta handled bowie and want me to make the same knife but with stag, the price will be different.

I think there is a big difference between a standard factory-knife pricing and a custom knife pricing. While I can go to a store's website and puruse pricing of different factory knives, the thing to remember is that I am not a store, and I don't make factory knives. I am an individual making unique and individual items. Each knife has different considerations, both concrete and abstract which can influence pricing. For me, if the customer is truly interested in having a custom knife made, he/she will contact me to disucss it further.

Of course, I'm just a hobby maker, so I have no "standard line-up", if you will. I'm also not concerned with volume of sales. If I was a full time maker using this craft to pay my bills, maybe my view point would be different, especially if I had standard offerings in addition to my more customized work.

--nathan

+1 on the above

On all available pieces, I always put a price. I think that any of us who have been makers for a while have experienced someone contacting us about a piece pictured on our website, that had a price listed, only to have the individual say they wanted another handle matieral, a different finish, or any number of other things that added to the price either through materials, or time, or both, and then the person gets angry when the quoted price is more than whats listed on the website. (it happens far more often than most non-knifemakers realize) Some folks will even try to play a maker against him/herself....by taking all kinds of notes during the conversation, then calling back several more times to see if they can trip you up on the quoted cost of the "options" they have asked for.

As Stephan mentioned, theres a huge difference between Micarta and Stag, from both a material cost, as well as a labor standpoint. Again, like Stephan, I make it a point to use the terminology "similar piece price", if the particular knife pictured is not currently available. Even then, its sometimes a battle to explain to a client why that same pattern with Stag, or even Ivory, is far more pricey than the same piece with (for example), Micarta or G10. Some just do not understand.

Most folks who like a specific knife, and are genuinely interested, will take the time to drop the maker an email, or pick up the phone for a quick call.

On all available pieces, I always put a price. I think that any of us who have been makers for a while have experienced someone contacting us about a piece pictured on our website, that had a price listed, only to have the individual say they wanted another handle matieral, a different finish, or any number of other things that added to the price either through materials, or time, or both, and then the person gets angry when the quoted price is more than whats listed on the website. (it happens far more often than most non-knifemakers realize) Some folks will even try to play a maker against him/herself....by taking all kinds of notes during the conversation, then calling back several more times to see if they can trip you up on the quoted cost of the "options" they have asked for.

As Stephan mentioned, theres a huge difference between Micarta and Stag, from both a material cost, as well as a labor standpoint. Again, like Stephan, I make it a point to use the terminology "similar piece price", if the particular knife pictured is not currently available. Even then, its sometimes a battle to explain to a client why that same pattern with Stag, or even Ivory, is far more pricey than the same piece with (for example), Micarta or G10. Some just do not understand.

Most folks who like a specific knife, and are genuinely interested, will take the time to drop the maker an email, or pick up the phone for a quick call.

Same heregoodjob1

HI Guys,

I would suggest to you as non-knifebuyers :D That many perspective clients use their mouse to click through multiple sites to gather information. Yes, they may choose to contact you. What you probably don't realize as non-knifebuyers is that many of these potential clients feel they don't want to bother the knife maker with their questions. As well some will shy away feeling that asking questions may in some way make them obligated (even though they are not).

Part of having a website is for many makers the first step in the pre-qualification process. Given the fact that so many makers are part timers they would probably rather spend their time making knives rather than answering basic questions such as "How much extra is Stag".

Posting a completed knife with the pertinent information and a price with the caveat (As Stephan wrote and others agreed "a similar knife would sell for" $XXX). Gives the potential client a basis for which to start from.

Having a cost list of "Options" will allow the potential client to figure out for themselves what a knife with "options" would cost over the base model.

While the non-knifemakers of us out there may not fully appreciate what the knife maker goes through (although I think you would be amazed at how many collectors do understand).

I would suggest that from a purely sales perspective you should make it as easy as possible for a potential client to purchase a knife from you.

As competitive as it is out there, as a non-knifemaker and a very serious knife buyer. I don't understand why you would give your potential clients a reason to buy from someone else.

John, Silver and Jake you have an interesting business orientation that is adopted by many part time makers.

Last edited:
Les, you should be careful about making assumptions. Believe me when I tell you I own far more knives made by other makers than I do knives made by my own hand. That's what started me into knifemaking in the first place: collecting. :)

I do see your logic in things. Makes sense, and if I were actually running a business, I would make efforts to make things more spelled out for potential customers. I guess it's not something I've ever felt need to change as I've had more orders than I can handle and have since stopped taking orders for a short time. Honestly, for me this will likely always remain a hobby for me, albeit a hobby I take very seriously (I'm a physical therapist and professor for my day job).

Thanks for your suggestions from the perspective of a serious collector. They do help us out.

--Nathan

Hi Nathan,

I wasn't trying to make any assumptions. I was using the :D after the "non-knifebuyers"!

I know that many collectors become knife makers. Every dealer I know started out as a collector as well.

The worst knife junkies become dealers...it is the only way they can support their habit. :D

I have about a $500,000 a year habit! :D

I'm at 18-20 months back ordered and folks don't seem to have a problem with no prices (except on a few on my oldest pages),........and that doesn't count the about 1 in 5 orders I turn down because they aren't something I choose to make.
Each piece of mine, whether it be a knife, hawk, or leather, is an individual piece with no two ever exactly alike and showing prices has in fact caused problems.
I've found since 1971 when I went pro, that folks that are interested in my work will get in contact and those that don't take the time....oh well - I can't do it for everybody anyway....
Business models can and vary dependent on the individual and the product - there is no one size fits all........then again I'm in a somewhat unique position in comparison to many/most other makers because I fill a demand that very few others do........

Makes sense, and if I were actually running a business, I would make efforts to make things more spelled out for potential customers.

--Nathan

Purely out of my own curiosity, what then is the point of having the website if your NOT running a business?

I use my website as a reference to knives I've made in the past,
I use it to host WIP pictures to create interest and traffic,
I have a good bit of Bio and personal information for people who want to know who their dealing with (VERY valuable to customers)

but the biggest reason for website is to promote and sell my knives.

Stephan,
I understand where you are coming from as a full time maker. But, remember anyone can have a website for anything they want. There are collectors out there with websites that don't have anything to sell. They aren't necessarily in business, but just want to show off their collection. I know one Dalton collector in particular that does this. It is a reference in fact. So as a hobbyist our goals will be different than that of someone who makes knives for a living. My site is just to show my work and serve as a means for people to contact me if they want me to make a knife for them. I don't have an elaborate ordering system like Daniel Koster does on his site, nor do I want one. I have enough orders to keep me busy for now and have actually turned down several orders this month.

The good thing about knife making as a hobby is that it tends to pay for itself at some point and allows you to buy more tools, supplies, t-shirts, and even develop a web site. I usually break even each year. But, if I lose a little on my hobby I'll just write it off as a loss at the end of the year. I make knives for the pure enjoyment of making knives, and if someone likes what I'm making and wants to buy it then I'm thrilled. I plan on attending my first knife show next year just for the experience. I think there are a lot of guys like myself that love making knives and all that goes with that, but we have other priorities that keep us from doing what we love full time. The other thing also is that when your hobby becomes your job you don't always get the same enjoyment out of it. I've spoken with some full time makers who don't seem to get any enjoyment out of their creations anymore, it's just a means to an end. I think that is sad. I know that every knife I make brings me a great deal of satisfaction that I haven't found doing anything else. I still get nervous sharping blades for fear I'm about to screw it up. I love that. It's a good thing. I guess, just keep in the back of your mind that a good majority of us are just here to have fun and not necessarily run a business.:)

Les,
On my site I have aFAQ section. Here, I address prices in a very simple way. This is from my site:

The cost of my knives varies based on the steel used, the handle material, and the length of the blade.
Typically a 3” bladed knife is $200 and you can add $50 per inch of blade as a base price.

I think that is very general and should give the customer a rough idea of what they can expect to spend.

This is a good thread. It has led me to have to think a little today about the differences between the full time maker and us hobbyist. But, we all have a common bond and that is making knives and that's why we are here.2thumbs
-John

Stephan,
I understand where you are coming from as a full time maker.
-John

Thanks John that was some very well thought out input, and I think your pricing scheme works very well given your styles.

Just a clarification, while I do put in easily 40 hrs a week at knifemaking, it is not my primary income (my wife would KILL me)

I am a project manager for a Construction Co (actually we're working on Lanier Tech over in your neck of the woods, we should get together for lunch sometime)

My experience as Project Manager has done a LOT for me in terms of tracking expenses, work flow, sequencing, ordering, book-keeping etc.
Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your point of view) it does drive me to look at things from a much more business (ie. profit) standpoint than most makers.

Last edited:
Sorry about that. I thought you were full time. My wife would kill me if I worked on knives 40 hrs per week.:D

Hey, give me a call. My number is on my website;) www.barkerknives.com
I'd like to get together for lunch anytime. I usually go around 12:30. If you give me 3 or 4 weeks I'll bring a few knives too.

-John

First thing, Les, I hope you didn't take me as being defensive there. I was just ribbing you a bit. ;)

I think John nailed it for me with his last post as far as the website goes. I've had a few customers that have found me via my website, but most are people I know personally or through BF. I'm not using my website as a business, I'm just using it to showcase some of the work I've done in the past. It's something that past customers can look back to or show others, and it's something I can refer potential customers to for them to get an idea of the style of work I do. The way I see it, if I get a few customers from my website, great! But it's by no means my primary source of customers at this point. Most are local and know me personally or know someone who has one of my knives. Right now since I've stopped taking orders and am getting caught up, I'm looking forward to tyring out new areas in bladesmithing as well as making what I want to make and either keeping it, or putting it up for sale on my website, at a show, or on Knifedogs or BF. If I ever get to the point of having difficulty selling the extra knives I make, then I'll focus more on advertising and trying to win over new potential customers.

All of that's not to say that I don't value customer service and the experience they have dealing with me. I think if you'll talk to any of my customers, they would have positive things to say as far as the communication and customer service they received. I do try to take care of my customers to the best of my ability, but I guess I'm just not actively seeking a large base of new customers.

John, I hope to one day break even with this craft. Right now, I'm just too danged slow to come close, and I love shiney new toys/tools WAY too much. :D

--nathan

Last edited:
If I ever get to the point of having difficulty selling the extra knives I make, then I'll focus more on advertising and trying to win over new potential customers.

I recognize that we're approaching this from a different mindset and this is entirely my own personal opinion.

I feel like if I waited until that point to worry about advertising it would be entirely to late.

John, I hope to one day break even with this craft. Right now, I'm just too danged slow to come close, and I love shiney new toys/tools WAY too much. :D

--nathan

I know exactly where your coming from there. it's tough but I've managed to get by for a long time with pretty substandard tooling. I've built all my own tools except for my drill press.

I'm JUST about ready to step up to a real HT oven now that I'm 110% sure that it will be a improvement in my knives.

I'd like a vertical mill but I can slot a guard by hand in about 15 minutes and don't know enough about milling operations to do anything else.

I'd like a surface grinder but I really don't think I know enough yet to get any good use out of it.

I'd like a disk grinder but I can't afford a HT oven and a disk grinder both, and honestly, I can kinda get by and still improve without the disk, I truly believe that I'm not going to get a whole lot better with my HT until I have something as controllable as an oven.

Hi Nathan,

Sometimes its hard to get the exact feeling of what people mean. No problems here.

If I ever get to the point of having difficulty selling the extra knives I make, then I'll focus more on advertising and trying to win over new potential customers.

That's like waiting till you are thirsty before you start looking for a place to dig the well! :D

As Stephan said "we all approach this from a different perspective."

Back