Knife Maker Identification

Unless somebody happens to come along that knows that logo, and replies to this thread, your unlikely to find out who made it. I've always been of the mindset that a maker should put their actual name on any knife they produce. I've never been able to wrap my head around why a maker would ever use some wierd design, or some obscure logo (like that one) on a knife. While they think its "cool", they fail to realize/understand that without a real name on the knife, nobody is going to be able to find them, much less purchase another knife.

Ed is right on the money on this one. I use to manufacture one up R/C dragsters. I use a Dragon image and a couple of obscure characters etched into the chassis. A person won regional's with one and tried to claim it was his. My name is next to the Dragon everywhere after that. Thank God everyone there knew better.

Check here: http://www.knifemakersdirectory.com/marks.asp

You have a slim chance of finding it, if it was ever registered.

Ed I actually agree with Your statement, but.....lets assume a maker is named John Smith....then what? there are millions of John Smiths.
Or lets give him another not so common name...it dosent matter, if there is no public work, enough knives and diligence.
A logo is space for creativity, expression and brand recognition.I would rather leave my blades unsigned than punch in capital letters which look in my eyes uninspired (honestly no offence to You Ed, Your craftsman ship is impeccable, it only about the logo and I am so free to say my opinion).There are certainly people who even do not like mine.....however....
same deal with initials/monograms....
on the other side it is fact that some makers take it different and etch the name, the state, the country and the word "maker"( I dont know what the hell that is good for) on it....there are a many ways to do it....for example Ed Fowler, well known by the most of us has a stylish monogram and everybody knows that it is Ed.not because the name is clearly visible,it is because Ed took a lot of public work a long time he made his name and his single knife design.
this gets confusing if we look at the Loveless-copyists.....a bottomless pit
There are many ways to get attention and recognition.
A makers mark just and only supporting the substance of whats in front and behind and this is us....whatever we are.

I wouldn't say that "everybody knows it is [an] Ed [Fowler]". Maybe many do but not all. Keep in mind, when Ed Fowler started that, there was not near the makers there are today also.

If being found and recognized is important for you......put your name on it, in some fashion.

If being found and recognized is important for you......put your name on it, in some fashion.

What John said is pretty much the bottom line. The problem with a maker's mark that is only a logo/design/initials is evident with the the OP's picture..... he's trying to figure out who made the knife.....and none of us can help. If the mark on that knife contained an actual name, in some form, at least there would be a starting point. Makers are going to do whatever they do when it comes to marking their work.....but I I just personally believe that many don't think it through, and often times do themselves more harm then good.

I wouldn't say that "everybody knows it is [an] Ed [Fowler]". Maybe many do but not all. Keep in mind, when Ed Fowler started that, there was not near the makers there are today also.

John, I said .."well known by the most of us".......later I said retorically everybody... , I took the wrong term, I hoped I would be understood what I ment,
so I was not aware....but lets not get picky.....
You are right back then there were not so much...did Daniel Winkler ever signed with his name? as far as I can remember J.D.Smith didnt, Larry Fuegen didnt, only connected initials.
there are more for shure if we search long enough..so it seems not mandatory under all circumstances.

If somebody strongly believes that the name stamped on the blade is important, then its the right way for this person.....I also agree with the sentence: ...."put your name on it in some fashion"....it is that in "some fashion" that I really like( I myself have my second name in my buzzard, I never asked myself why, it just felt right...)

there are many ways leading to Rome...

Last edited:
I don't know if I hit the wrong button again, so this may be repeated some where.

I was going to do the following to mark my knife:

1. "Initials" followed by my "Last Name" on the left side of the blade.

2. My "City" and "State" on the side of the ricasso. (I wrote tang on my first post, my mistake).

3. My "Logo" on the other side of the ricasso. (I wrote tang before, my mistake).

4. The type of steel used (440C, D2, etc.) some where.

5. The serial number somewhere.

I know this is probably to much info to put on a knife even if I use very small print. Do you guys enclose a certificate with all of this information and more?
It seems like if I try to put too much info on the blade it will look ugly - like a bill board.

Any advise on this well be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Grizzly Bear

Back