Knife handle material suggestions

Gahagan

Ok I need some input from you collectors. I am working on a run of 11 of my Thanos Bowies for Wilson combat. I am looking for input as to what the preferred handle material would be for most collectors. My original had Koa on it but high quality koa in the sizes I need are rare and very expensive. What woould you like to see on it if you were to purchase this knife? Here is the bowie for reference. The run will also have a hamon on them.

Ironwood is popular and well liked.
I also like some maple, walnut, and natural colored burls.

Considering they are for Wilson Combat, I would think black to be appropriate. That bowie with a hamon and a dark African Blackwood would be killer.

Bob

Hard to go wrong with classics like nicely figured DIW, Cocobolo, Walnut, & Maple. Personally, I'd order a billet/board big enough to cut all 11 blocks from so they would be as close as possible to each other.

Hard to go wrong with classics like nicely figured DIW, Cocobolo, Walnut, & Maple. Personally, I'd order a billet/board big enough to cut all 11 blocks from so they would be as close as possible to each other.

Well said.

Last edited:
lately ive been a sucker for amboyna. also some quality Bog oak, super dark black color. hmmmmm you can never go wrong with ironwood

I mainly like to buy knives with Curly Maple, English or American Walnut, and California Redwood Burl. All very nice in a larger knife design.

Back