Knife handle failure...

Dan it was 28* straight up wind chill about 4* below that, now I know that is probably a heat wave for you but,............................ Well anyway I am tired of Winter even if this has been a mild one for us!

Walle point wasn't lost but if that is the environment that it is in,............. that is the environment it is! We can't stop the man from overheating and taking all the moisture out of his house. You are right that may be a major contributing factor in the failure of this handle.

The given environment was something I originally missed but went back and re-read the entire thread. That is why I suggested that maybe the handle material needed to be changed! That was after I made the statement of couldn't imagine an environment that would cause that much change! That is when I remembered this story about my father in law!

Years ago my father in law had open heart surgery and after that he was extremely cold during that winter. I first noticed when I went in their house it was so hot that I could barely stay in there! Plus I was cutting and supplying wood to him and he was going thru a lot more than myself. I first thought it was because they were home all day and I was working a big chunk of the day.
One afternoon I am in his kitchen trying to stay away from the fireplace and I noticed how his wooden kitchen cabinets he had built years before were pulling apart. I started walking around the house and especially in his den where the fireplace was the same thing only worse. Some wood items were literally tearing themselves apart.
When I mentioned that the wood items in the house were moving he stated the he had seen it too. He tried to cut down some on the amount of heat he was producing and he put a pot of water on the old wood stove to help with the moisture in the house, that helped but really didn't cure until the winter was over and he shut down the wood stove. However he was family and you just don't tell a client something like that and, that really places Dan in bad position! That kind of heat and drying of the natural moisture will effect a lot of things!

Between all the posts in this thread and those 'brackets' you made to try to fix the issue, you could have replaced the scales and finished new ones by now and had the knife finished. ;) Just sayin'.

Personally, those things you built or found or bought, not sure which, to recess into the scales is way too much messing around for me. I'd tell the guy that I'm using some more stable materials and better fasteners and that's the end of it.

Good friend or not, your time is worth money and you can't keep messing around with repairing something that isn't working. :)

Definition of insanity...

Between all the posts in this thread and those 'brackets' you made to try to fix the issue, you could have replaced the scales and finished new ones by now and had the knife finished. ;) Just sayin'.

Personally, those things you built or found or bought, not sure which, to recess into the scales is way too much messing around for me. I'd tell the guy that I'm using some more stable materials and better fasteners and that's the end of it.

Good friend or not, your time is worth money and you can't keep messing around with repairing something that isn't working. :)

Hi John,

So, are you from the Gladwin area originally? I'm a bit north of you, above the bridge and east for a few hours...

Yeah, I hear your points. They are not lost on me. If this was a one-off oddball piece of wood that would never be had again, it would go in the garbage. The biggest concern here is future knives. It's hard because is this particular cut of wood is something I use a lot of. It's something that people keep asking for, sort of a signature style for me. My real concern is long term...

I've been using this wood for a quite while now. Most of the knives it's on have had pins, a plywood like laminated veneer liner, and penetrating oils for finish. This wood with an oil finish takes A LONG time to finish. It just soaks up oil, for months. So I sent some out to be stabilized. This is one of the first set of scales that have been stabilized. But, this knife has a lot going against it, not having any pins or liners.

If any future knives are requested in similar fashion, I need to know how to make these scales stick. If a little extra hardware is needed, the cost and time will need to be worked in to those knives. It wouldn't really take much to set the mill up to punch out 50 or 100 of them. Other than this first set, the cost wouldn't be all that high.

In any case, the guy really wants the scales. We talked about replacing them with a more stable material, but he really likes them. Knowing that they may move again, he's willing to take that chance on them. For the sake of learning I'm willing to give it one more try. So, foolish as this sounds, they are getting one more try. The only question is which epoxy...

...You can ALL feel free to say, "I TOLD YOU SO!!!" if it comes back again! :)

Here's a snapshot of a previous knife handle. The photo really doesn't do the wood justice...

'42-Handle.jpg

Dan it was 28* straight up wind chill about 4* below that, now I know that is probably a heat wave for you but,............................ Well anyway I am tired of Winter even if this has been a mild one for us!

That's still 50 degrees warmer!

So, as far as the G/Flex 650, I tried some out on a sample. It is pretty tough. It 'feels' about right. The adhesion is good, but it did seem to peel off the steel sample. That said, it was stronger than some other epoxies. My guess is getting a thick enough layer is key.

How long have you guys been using G/Flex? Has anyone put it to the test compared to other epoxies or adhesives?

Dan

Back