Knife as a Retirement Gift

Self Made Knives

I've been asked to make a knife as a retirement gift. The order is going to be a rush for me, but I think I can get it done, I've got just over 2 weeks. The guys ordering it want it to be personalized with something etched on the blade. Have any of you etched something like this on a blade? I can make stencils, just not sure what to put on it. Or, which side of the blade to put it on? Here's my first idea for the mark:
larry knife logo 2.JPG
He has 42 years of service, and the IIF stands for incident and injury free. I think the guys ordering it are wanting more, but I'm not sure what to put on there. Any of you guys done retirement gift knives?

I'm JUST getting into making stencils, and technically I haven't made a successful one yet (still waiting on material), BUT if I'm not mistaken, You'll want the 42 to either be solid, or have a completely transparent "inside", rather than the grayscale interior. You can do the outline of the 42 an designed, or you can do a solid template for a full etch/darken.

Also, I'm not sure if it's just .jpg compression on your attachment, but the 1974 - 2016 looks a little pixelated. I'd try to sharpen that up some.

Drew, the example was just a quickie to show the guys ordering it an idea, you're right the finished drawing would be cleaner. As far as sending it out for engraving, I don't think I would have time. I'm not even sure who I would send it to around here. I can etch the design fine, if I can decide what it should be. I normally mark my name on the left side, as do most makers, so should I mark the retirement info on the back? Or should it be on the front (left) side?

What company is he retiring from? Do they want that on it anywhere? If its a full tang something on the top of the spine might be a cool place to sneak in the IIF so your not trying to cram to much on the side.

Well, the inscription is changing slightly. Met with the guys that are ordering the knife yesterday and this what we've came up with now.
larry knife logo 4.JPG
The companies logo, trucks, etc. are orange, so I ordered a 0.030 G10 liner from Boss yesterday morning, so it'll have that touch of orange in it. If I get it in time! I hate deadlines.

Here's my advice and it's worth what you paid for it. :)

1. If you want to design a logo or template for the personal info, that's fine. But I'd keep it really simple with only very pertinent info. In my opinion, nothing looks worse than a paragraph of stuff etched, engraved or stenciled on a blade.

2. I would highly recommend having an engraving place like a trophy shop or a place that sells fine gifts (flasks, money clips, picture frames etc..) and have them do it.

3. I would make it VERY clear that you are responsible for the finished knife ONLY and that any engraving or etching along with any and all costs from said engraving was on them AFTER the fact and that you were in no way responsible for any slips, scratches, gouges or finish marring from an engraver who didn't care nearly as much about delivering a knife in perfect condition as you do.

I'm speaking from personal experience here and this is the ONLY way I would even consider such a request.

Good advice for the future John, but I don't know if it would work out this time. I think people see knife making on TV and think you can whip out something in a couple of evenings of work. I'm sure there a guys on here that can produce excellent blades that fast, but I am definitely not one of them. I think I'll be working on it right up to the last minute, mainly due to the sheath. I'm a slow knife maker and an even slower leather worker!

larry knife pre ht grind.jpg

Tapered tang and pre-heat treat grind done, trying to decide on handle material. Think I've settled on Koa with a thin orange liner, and SS bolsters.

One last time, anybody have a preference or rule as to which side of the blade you would put an inscription? I tend to think, I would like the knife to appear normal from the side we're all used to, with only my makers mark on it. Then, put the inscription on the back side. But, there is an argument to be made for having the inscription on the front, so when it is held in the right hand, the words are more visible. Ugh! I need to decide, might make stencil tomorrow night, etch it in on Wednesday.

Lookin' good, Anthony!

Most of the knives I've seen have the inscription and the maker's mark both on the front (obverse) side of the blade. I wouldn't think it wrong to put the inscription on the back (reverse) side of the blade though, in fact, that's probably how I would handle it. Since I'm not aware of any published authoritative book on the Do's and Don'ts of knife making, I guess it's up to the artisan to decide what's best. That's one of the things I like about knife making; there's no hard and fast rules that must be adhered to. Do what looks best to you and I promise you won't be shunned from the knife-making community.

At the end of the day, I'm not sure there's a right or wrong answer to which side to etch on. I'm not even sure which side is front vs back!

I suppose my instinct would be to each where it's visible with the point to the left and the edge down, but it ultimately boils down to maker preference.

Top or bottom? Which size looks best? One is 2.5" long and the other is 3" long. I printed some larger and smaller than these, but these two look the best to me.
My stuff1.jpg

Last edited:
I do this all the time. I put my mark on the left (the side you are showing), and the requested engraving on the opposite side. There is no rule that I know of.

rps20151221_154117.jpg rps20151221_153952.jpg

Made a stencil last night and did a test etch. Stunk! Had a couple spots only half the letters etched. The transparency I used for exposing the stencil was a little blotchy or spotty I think. Today, printed a new transparency at work on a high dollar laser printer and it came out perfect. Here's a test etch on a scrap pile blade of the same steel as the real deal.
stencil test.jpg

Back