Knew it had to happen....eventually....

Bailey Boat

I've been grinding for several years and maybe I've just been lucky but this morning I blew my first belt. OMG.... it scared the living crap out of me!!! I swear I may have wet my pants just a little. All of the noise and stuff flying every where. I didn't have a clue as to what just happened but I vacated the area faster than I ever thought I was capable of moving.
Closer inspection (after my heart rate steadied) showed the belt hanging on by a little 1/4" strip with the rest of it shredded and hanging loose. Nothing actually hit me but I was happy to be wearing safety goggles and a respirator so most of my face was covered but it has me thinking about a full face shield.
Ya'll be careful.......

Yep...... others can talk abou it, but until you experience it for yourself, you just can't grasp the scope of it. :)

I've picked up a few cuts and scratches on my face over the years when a heavy grit belt went. The ones that I hate the worst are the micro-finishing belts (or any of them with a mylar backing)...... the edges of those things are like razor blades flying through the air.

I've had a few go, mine started with a loud ticking, and getting louder FAST, then boom, sounded like a gun going off. each time I heard that ticking I got out of the way quick. my snaps were at the glued seam. I know one maker that got it in the gut and had to get stitches, he quit making knives and is a dealer now.

I inspected the belt closely (after event) but can't see why if failed. There were no apparent issues and it wasn't at the seam. I wasn't leaning on it very heavy at all. Any ideas what makes the come apart for no reason?? This was a fairly new belt, <3 months....
Ed, I never thought about the mylar belts, but I can see where they would be more dangerous.

Mine was above the seam and it was a ticking sound then things when. Flying and I needed a new pair of shorts.

I was trying out a new kind of belt while tapering a tang and it exploded so after shaking off the rather traumatic experience I threw on another belt and that one popped too. I was shocked, pissed and bloody. The second belt ground off the bandages I just put on my arm from the first belt failure. I went back to my normal belts and put on a sweatshirt for the rest of the day. I have not had a problem with any other belts ever. I'm glad you didn't get hurt but I feel for ya anyway, that's a scary deal.

One reason I love the spark guard on my TW-90. I had two belts blow the same day. It does make a weird sound before hand.

After reading about all of you experiencing PBBT (post-broken-belt-trauma):what!:, I thought it was probably time to order a better faceshield- one I would actually wear- It just arrived. I chose one that I think John Wilson recommended in a thread titled 'Safety Gear'. I'm anxious to try it out.
Face Shield.jpg
Maybe it's because I recently added a small wheel attachment to my setup, but I wonder how many belt-fails occur on a small wheel. Since the belt probably experiences more stress at a tighter radius, I just wondered if that is coming into play with any of these failed belts. -or if we should be running a little less tension? Any of your belt fails occurring on small wheels?

I will definitely be cautious of that 'ticking' sound, and be extra cautious with Mylar belts, now. They say a word to the wise is sufficient- no one ever accused me of being wise, but maybe wiser now. Who knows- maybe it'll never happen for me, but on the other hand, maybe some fellow knifedogs have spared me a trip to the ER in the future!
Thx everyone,
Bill

I'll be honest here, after Ed's description of a mylar belt coming apart I have ceased using the 2 I had. Mine were in micron size and useful for touching up the edge of a blade but not worth the risk in my book.....

Bill, what I really like is that face shield has so much coverage. When your head is tilted down during grinding your neck, face, everything is protected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back