KITH 2020 SIGN UP

Question for everyone... If we are making a kitchen/food prep knife, should a sheath still be included? If not, what would be an appropriate substitute?

Depends on the style kitchen knife you make. In the Japanese style a wooden Saya would be completely acceptable. In the western style a simple fold over leather sheath or in some tastes kydex is good. I like making wooden sayas so that would be my choice in any style for a kitchen knife.

Question for everyone... If we are making a kitchen/food prep knife, should a sheath still be included? If not, what would be an appropriate substitute?

My kitchen knives come with a kydex blade cover. (a kydex taco, basically). No fasters, etc. Just a taco / foldover that is nicely shaped and fitted. works great for keeping the knife in a drawer or for shipping.

i looked forever for cardboard blade slip covers but the only source i found required that you buy a metric butt ton of them, and I offer too many different blades to buy a metric butt ton in each size. the kydex is nicer anyway and my customers love them.

964FFF15-4310-4DE4-8568-2920684451D0.jpeg

My kitchen knives come with a kydex blade cover. (a kydex taco, basically). No fasters, etc. Just a taco / foldover that is nicely shaped and fitted. works great for keeping the knife in a drawer or for shipping.

i looked forever for cardboard blade slip covers but the only source i found required that you buy a metric butt ton of them, and I offer too many different blades to buy a metric butt ton in each size. the kydex is nicer anyway and my customers love them.

View attachment 74934
Those are quite nice John. So if you were to create say a knife and fork set in presentation box do you think it would be best to also include some kind of covering for the knife when not in the box? I hope that makes sense. I just woke up from a nap.

John those are a great idea! I think I’ll go for something similar. Also, can you explain just how big a metric butt ton is? Inquiring minds want to know.

Those are quite nice John. So if you were to create say a knife and fork set in presentation box do you think it would be best to also include some kind of covering for the knife when not in the box? I hope that makes sense. I just woke up from a nap.

I wouldn’t. If it comes in a box then that’s good enough for me. I only started doing the blade covers for shipping rather than cardboard and tape. People really liked them so I made it standard.

I wouldn’t. If it comes in a box then that’s good enough for me. I only started doing the blade covers for shipping rather than cardboard and tape. People really liked them so I made it standard.
OK that makes sense. I guess I wasn't as sleepy as I thought I am.

Back