Kiln Conversion

Peter Killgore

Kiln Conversion Question.

While I was poking around in the shop today, I came across an old small pottery kiln that someone had given our family. I've been wanting to get a heat treat oven for accurate temps and soak time but just can't afford it. Looking at that kiln, I suddenly realized I HAD a knife oven, someone just put all the pieces together in the wrong order! At least that's how I see it. : ) Do any of you guys have experience converting a kiln to an oven? As I see it, I just have to dismantle the whole thing, reshape a few bricks, bend the housing in a different manner, then put it back together in a different shape and minus a few heating coils. Is there any advice anyone would give me on this? Tips from experience? Other parts I might need? (I'm pretty sure I need a thermocouple, a PID, and an SSR. Not sure if I need anything else). I'm really hoping I can make this work so any advice/input is appreciated. Thanks!

Peter

Last edited:
Peter,

I am at the same spot your are. I just picked up an old kiln, and I am going to convert it into a Heat treat oven. From what I can tell, you will need a temp controller (PID) k type thermocouple and a SSR rated for the current with a heat sink. I am not going to remove any coils. The PID should control the temp just fine. In fact you probably don't want to change anything, use it as it is. Installing the temp controller stuff should be it.

Aaron

hi,
dont know age of kilns you are working with. might be a good idea to wear at least a paper dust mask when working with the bricks and insulation. some older units may have used asbestos and the dust from the bricks is not good for the lungs. I am doing a similar project except with a small lab furnace. upgrading analog temp dial to digital and adding a pid temp controller. i found all the items on Ebay for a price, should have pid controller, ssr and heat sink, thermocouple, and seperate digital thermometer for less than $100. good luck.
scott

Aaron, the reason I wanted to remove some coils was to make the chamber smaller and less of a toll on the electricity bill. I also wanted to convert it to a horizontal chamber rather than vertical. Thanks for the advice though! I'll definitely keep that in mind. Less work on this thing means more work on knives. : )

Scott, the kiln I have didn't use asbestos. Thanks for the precaution though! And thanks for putting me towards ebay for the parts!

Peter

hi,
dont know age of kilns you are working with. might be a good idea to wear at least a paper dust mask when working with the bricks and insulation. some older units may have used asbestos and the dust from the bricks is not good for the lungs. I am doing a similar project except with a small lab furnace. upgrading analog temp dial to digital and adding a pid temp controller. i found all the items on Ebay for a price, should have pid controller, ssr and heat sink, thermocouple, and seperate digital thermometer for less than $100. good luck.
scott
Scott, the kiln I have may be from the 50s It is a Dickinson... I am looking for any info on it, so far i cannot find anything....

Back