Kiln as a Heat treat oven?

Scott, I don't think that one will work. Take a look at the controls. It is a 4 way switch that is basically "low" "medium" "medium high" "high". That certainly won't work for heat treating. You could buy the kiln, and then wire in a controller, like a PID set up. But that is more work and more dinero. Also, the chamber is only 11" wide, so that limits blade sizes. Trust me...you'll want a wider chamber. Can't heat treat an 8" chef's knife in that one. Also, it is top loading. While certainly doable, I HATE trying to fiddle with that lid while trying to grab super hot steel with tongs, trying to get to the quench ASAP (I use a modified top loading glass kiln that I cut a slit in the side to make removing the blade easier). My main issue with the kiln you linked to is the lack of temp control. Unless there is a temperature control on the kiln that I am not aware of.

Last edited:
You could always just build one if you felt like fooling with it. Doing the wiring isn't that tough, finding good sources for the materials can be a challenge, but can be worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am using a Paragon kiln for my heat treating. But, and a big BUT, I got mine for free. It will work, you can control the temp within about a 10 degree swing if you sit and baby it the whole time (very time consuming). I use a Fluke multi-meter with a temp function on it with a thermocouple going inside. Now the BUT, it sucks a$$ having to open the top to put blades in and out. It's not too bad for carbon steel temps, like below 1500 deg, but I just did a stainless blade at 1975 and it is scary to open that lid and reach down in there when it's that hot. Fortunately, mine is a stackable style, so I can keep the sidewalls shorter than the one you're looking at.

The price, $300 is way too much for you put up with the hassle for making knives. I've seen them on Craigslist before for less than $100, and I even bought one at an auction once for $10 (turned out it didn't work). If you could get it for next to nothing, it would be ok for you get and heat treat a few blades until you were sure you wanted a real oven. I'm still new, but I'm enjoying this hobby enough that I will probably go ahead and buy a real oven in the very near future. My advice, pass on it. If you see one for $50, that might be worth trying, but it'll still be a pain in the.....

a round kiln with lift top would be a pain. if you check ebay regularly you can find front door kilns for reasonable $$. may be the way to go till you have the money for a larger furnace. i have a used paragon e9 kiln that will handle a 12" blade. it is not automated yet, i have to monitor temperature, but i am heat treating thin (1/8" or less) O1 and related steel, so you are talking about a 10 minute or so soak. the kiln was about $300 delivered, an extra thermocouple was <$20. the results are good, repeatable hardness when checked. $350 was easier to come with than $1200 for one labeled "HEAT TREAT FURNACE". as with all stuff discussed here, YMMV.

Back