them a thank you, if they donate 30$ you might give them a small gift
representing your company, if they donate say $100 you give them something a
little more than a gift.

So I need some ideas for rewards, does anybody
have anything in mind?
Any ideas can be thrown in, just to get my mind
flowing.

progress.gif

Elliot, again, not trying to be a jerk, but you're going to have to make a knife eventually if you're going to be a "knife maker". I told you the other day that Kickstarter is not a knife friendly place. If you don't believe that, write them about your project and see what they say. Anything that can be construed as a weapon, they don't want. We all know knives are tools, but they won't look at it like that.

Well stated Anthony. Basically doing the same stuff on other forums under Mr. Fox name. Sure would like to see a knife before I considered giving any money to your cause.

As Anthony mentioned, kickstarter WILL NOT do knives. I've had some experinece with kickstarter, and can tell you that although it looks attractive, you must be prepared to put in some time, effort, and $$$ to get your product presentation up to the standards they require.....you can't just shoot a short vid with your phone...it won't fly.

Those who have been successful generally offer a product. Two that come to mind are Felholter and is Ti-Bolt pens, and Kelly with titanium drinking straws. Both of those were very successful, but its far from "free money".... each of thos individuals worked their butts off to fulfill after the goals were met. Its also not without a degree of risk. If you can meet your funding goal, be prepared to give up 14-20% to pay kickstarter......and if you don't meet product deliver time frames, you are liable for any/all refunds to those who "donated". Its a pretty good avenue to get a product "out there", but its certainly not "free money".

Yep, like they said, go make a knife. Your more likely to get help with a product in hand.

Last edited:
I had/have an idea/product that I was working on a kick starter idea for about a year ago. Not knife related at all, actually something for kids and Tweens, but I wanted to use a knife as a reward for big donor. kickstarter said no way, not even as a reward.

I made my first couple of knives with hand files and a small drill press. You don't need much $$$ to start.

All these folks make valid points and Ed, as usual - gives a very detailed reply based on personal experience and in this case knowledge of other projects. Listen to the man - I sure do. While there may be times when Ed and I don't agree, on the whole, Ed is one of my "go to" men for knowledge and help.

Ken H>

So, I am a young knife maker, and I do not have a
lot of money to spend on tools and equipment and materials that I need for the
essentials.
progress.gif

IMHO you need to decide if you are going to be a knife maker or a knife collector. you have this in the classifieds:
[h=2] Looking for:
[/h]
Hey Guys I am looking for an American Kami Knife or axe for trade:
I've got a Treeman Combat Bowie prototype
and a Behring Jr. Valkyrie serial #002
Let me know
I've also got many more knives but none I am really looking to get rid of.

instead of trading for another knife, trade for a small belt grinder or a kiln or ...., or sell them and use proceeds for equipment. take the $$ you are saving for the next knife to buy and put it in equipment. kind of poor form to go out asking for seed money to start knifemaking while spending $$ on "collectable knives." spend a few $$ and get a 1x30 or 4x36 belt sander. you can heat treat 1084 with a charcoal fire, quench in canola oil. get a norton economy stone to sharpen with. once you two or three done, then you can say "I am a beginning knife maker." business folks are not going to invest in your knifemaking venture if you don't have examples of finished blades to show them.

I agree and I usually give everyone the benefit of doubt. In this gentleman's case, he is hammering at least two forums under different names and asking the same questions. He leads us to believe that he has an order for 50 knives even though he has yet to ever build one knife. He is also trying to get people to buy into his venture before he even has a venture to buy into.

Hey Guys I am looking for an American Kami Knife or axe for trade:
I've got a Treeman Combat Bowie prototype
and a Behring Jr. Valkyrie serial #002
Let me know
I've also got many more knives but none I am really looking to get rid of.

In this gentleman's case, he is hammering at least two forums under different names and asking the same questions.

OK, This is really starting to sound scamish....... If your not a scammer, do us all favor and go make a knife. I have only been making knives for close to one year and have sold a few over a dozen. I still "cook" my knives in a charcoal fire and use a $20 garage sale toaster oven. I built my own rickidy 2x72" grinder and it works just fine. There are allot of good people on this forum that will give you all the info need to become a "KNIFE MAKER". I am done harping now and I will look for your post with your first knife.
Good Luck
Steve

I got a little too far ahead of myself trying to get things going, but I just got got myself a Grinder and am in the process of purchasing an oven. The oven was what I have been trying to fund so I don't take too big of a hit to the bank account and would still be able to recooperate to purchase the steel and everything else I need. So as far as being a little annoying kid on the forums begging for money, sorry about that

OK, This is really starting to sound scamish....... If your not a scammer, do us all favor and go make a knife. I have only been making knives for close to one year and have sold a few over a dozen. I still "cook" my knives in a charcoal fire and use a $20 garage sale toaster oven. I built my own rickidy 2x72" grinder and it works just fine. There are allot of good people on this forum that will give you all the info need to become a "KNIFE MAKER". I am done harping now and I will look for your post with your first knife.
Good Luck
Steve

Thanks for the advice Steve, ill pm you some pictures when I get the first batch done.

Last edited:
Elliot, again, not trying to be a jerk, but you're going to have to make a knife eventually if you're going to be a "knife maker". I told you the other day that Kickstarter is not a knife friendly place. If you don't believe that, write them about your project and see what they say. Anything that can be construed as a weapon, they don't want. We all know knives are tools, but they won't look at it like that.

I did talk to somebody from kickstarter, I had another project up that I worked on with a couple other people that went over well just like many other people. As far as weapons roll over there yeah, I could tell they didn't want those projects going up. I didn't get a reply with my defense from their customer support they are pretty dead set on the rules. It wasn't so much of trying to fund for everything more of i was trying to get some helpbuying the oven. I talked to a local heat treating place and the initial charge to throw something in the oven was way too much.

- toaster oven wont do it for me, if I'm going to start something I'm going to see it through right, If I'm going to make something for myself or others I want to make sure that whatever it is has reached its full potential so I know I have done everything I can in my power to make it the best product.

Yea, why dont you try doing them in a toaster oven - you do realize those wont work for anyone, Dont you? People use those to temper, but not to harden.

When your oven arrives, you may find there is more to a good heat treat than "throw something in the oven".

Just sayin.....

Rob!

Listen, I do not want to get into a discussion about what or how many knives you are making for your first 'batch'. Point is, myself, and other that have expressed skepticism have done it out of frustration. You are diving into an adventure without even being able to show that you understand hos to make a single knife. We simply are trying to get you to realize that the best approach is to make a few knives using whatever methods you have available at present before investing thousands of dollars in something you dont know if you will like or if people will like and / or purchase. I'm not trying to be a d??ck, just frustrated because it would be akin to me stating I was building an automobile factory, but have never even built a car. Crank out a knife, show it to the group, take contsructive criticism and if you enjoy it, become a full time knifemaker.

Back