Kevin Zito - KITH 2019 Bowie WIP

Those are all nice wood. Is the second from the bottom the Blackwood? I still don't know wood all that well.
That one is also dbl dyed stabilized maple from genek... it’s very dark and looks absolutely stunning next to copper which makes me want to save it. I don’t have the Blackwood in yet but I think it will look great with the stainless spacer. But again I have to warn y’all that there’s a 99% chance that this will be in the gahbage in two days. Lol

Thanks for the input! So here is where we are so far... see pic below... I received the Blackwood though I’d post it. As you may be able to tell from the pic, I’m playing around with temper-coloring lol. I think it would be awesome to have a splash of color (not straw as pictured lol) to the middle spacer which will have file work.EB2ABEF6-8F02-4CCE-8CDB-EC5860595D31.jpeg

Ok so I decided I would post a pic even though this is TERRIBLE. AND I’m not being too hard on myself. Lol. Given the complexity of the project, I’m having to learn a few new skills on the way. I was expecting trials, and I was correct. The Blackwood has a natural hole in it so I’m assuming that has to be replaced. Right now the knife is definitely as ugly as they get; I’m going to keep chipping the ugly away and hopefully find a beauty underneath. Thanks for looking. ZF76B71F0-66A7-4023-B900-651EC292A6FC.jpeg

Ok so I decided I would post a pic even though this is TERRIBLE. AND I’m not being too hard on myself. Lol. Given the complexity of the project, I’m having to learn a few new skills on the way. I was expecting trials, and I was correct. The Blackwood has a natural hole in it so I’m assuming that has to be replaced. Right now the knife is definitely as ugly as they get; I’m going to keep chipping the ugly away and hopefully find a beauty underneath. Thanks for looking. ZView attachment 69541
That's looking awesome Kevin!! Thanks for the update.

How else can one learn? And, I was told a carving lesson many years ago: to carve an elephant , you simply carve away that that is not elephant. Same goes with the ugly.... keep pluggin away at the ugly and what remains will be.......
elephant! ( I don't have to make sense.....I'm old !)

Kevin - you're doing good.... I do like the design, in fact I'm thinking of something along those lines myself. Perhaps a tad smaller with only a 6-1/2" blade. The size is limited by the billet of San Mai I've got.

Ok so I decided I would post a pic even though this is TERRIBLE. AND I’m not being too hard on myself. Lol. Given the complexity of the project, I’m having to learn a few new skills on the way. I was expecting trials, and I was correct. The Blackwood has a natural hole in it so I’m assuming that has to be replaced. Right now the knife is definitely as ugly as they get; I’m going to keep chipping the ugly away and hopefully find a beauty underneath. Thanks for looking. ZView attachment 69541
That bolster is very very nice.

Thanks for the kind words! It’s a long ways from finished, but I appreciate the tips and encouraging words. I’m going to clean up the collar quite a bit... I just wanted to show some type of update pic lol.

Kevin - you're doing good.... I do like the design, in fact I'm thinking of something along those lines myself. Perhaps a tad smaller with only a 6-1/2" blade. The size is limited by the billet of San Mai I've got.
Can’t wait to see what you do with it.

Back