Kev’s KITH-WIP

Kev

Ok, here goes. One of my big goals with this is to document my WIP well. First step, design...FBC5CA87-B148-4829-9D5F-2BEABD1BA441.jpeg
I know it’s simple, but I’m thinking of adding some design elements, like a hidden lanyard hole, and full distal taper. AEB-L is my steel of choice, but I have some patina ideas in mind as well.

Design dosent have to be wild to be good and that is a great little knife that woud do sterling service and in my mind good design always trumps flash finish

Looks very good on paper. In fact it looks beautiful. My suggestion is to cut one out of cardboard and hold it. I would be very surprised if you don't come to the conclusion that the handle feels a bit short. No matter how it looks on paper, a 4 inch handle is probably going to feel crowded. Just my opinion.

Looks very good on paper. In fact it looks beautiful. My suggestion is to cut one out of cardboard and hold it. I would be very surprised if you don't come to the conclusion that the handle feels a bit short. No matter how it looks on paper, a 4 inch handle is probably going to feel crowded. Just my opinion.
Good call. I’ll do that. I have extremely small hands, so most of my designs tend to hedge toward that side of things.

Beautiful designs...I'm with john on handle length in general...Usually as I "shrink" a design the blade become shorter and the handle longer...On very small knives you can go short if the end of the knife is more ball like...so you can "seat" it in your palm and still have a strong hold.

All that being said...I don't have big hands and the smaller blade would be perfect for me.

My little knife is 3.6 from the stop at the ricasso to the end. I made the front short so you can "pinch" the blade easy and the back round so you can palm it well and have not heard any complaints. I think as soon as you add "Pinch" room to the front of the handle it sends the signal that this is a small knife that you choke up on to use...

Just some of my opinions....I got lots...

Beautiful designs...I'm with john on handle length in general...Usually as I "shrink" a design the blade become shorter and the handle longer...On very small knives you can go short if the end of the knife is more ball like...so you can "seat" it in your palm and still have a strong hold.

All that being said...I don't have big hands and the smaller blade would be perfect for me.

My little knife is 3.6 from the stop at the ricasso to the end. I made the front short so you can "pinch" the blade easy and the back round so you can palm it well and have not heard any complaints. I think as soon as you add "Pinch" room to the front of the handle it sends the signal that this is a small knife that you choke up on to use...

Just some of my opinions....I got lots...

Full disclosure... I’m a habitual “pincher”! That could be yet another reason I like the shorter handles. I’ll keep that in mind.

I like both designs also, not all that much difference that I can see. Now, one thing to comment on and not sure it's even an issue. BUT - your lanyard hole - that seems to be pretty close to the edge which would make it easy for the wood to break out in making, and make it hard to do a flare on ends of lanyard tube. You might consider using only two pins, then moving the lanyard hole down some - not totally in line with the last pin, but in that direction so the lanyard tube serves the purpose of last pin. Not sure it would work, just tossing it out for comments.

I like both designs also, not all that much difference that I can see. Now, one thing to comment on and not sure it's even an issue. BUT - your lanyard hole - that seems to be pretty close to the edge which would make it easy for the wood to break out in making, and make it hard to do a flare on ends of lanyard tube. You might consider using only two pins, then moving the lanyard hole down some - not totally in line with the last pin, but in that direction so the lanyard tube serves the purpose of last pin. Not sure it would work, just tossing it out for comments.

They are actually exactly the same accept that the small one is 10% smaller (copier).

After reviewing my design and adding elements that I haven’t done, or have done but did poorly, I decided to make the lanyard hole hidden under the scales and more likely than not I will only use 2 pins, I’m kind of waiting to decide what I’m going to use for scales before I decide.

I changed it up a little bit from the original drawing, I chose to bulk it up a tiny bit and lengthen the handle a little bit. If all goes as planned, it will have a full distal tape, and a tapered tang. I’m also hoping to include a hidden lanyard hole in the design.

FFDCB516-CB34-4A2E-A105-1D7AC915C023.jpeg

Back