Keeper strap question

M

Michael Minto

When I make a sheath for a clip point, or other blade that will have a keeper strap around the handle, and I am using a snap or 'sam browne' stud, I thin the leather where the strap touches the handle and make a sandwich, if you will, of leather around the base of the metal snap/stud to protect the handle - do you all do this, or does this sound like overkill? Thanks!

I cringe when I add a strap, and the back side of the snap touches the knife handle. That's why I rarely ever use a strap and snap. I've always designed a retention method much like a holster instead.

Post a pic of how you do it, I'm interested in the method.

Bodam, 20171030_145812.jpg 20171030_145828.jpg

Sorry for not having any in-progress images, but the way I do it, is after cutting the strap to width, I sand the thickness of the leather about 1/2 it's original...I suppose you could skive it, too...then, I punch a hole thru, fasten the 2 pieces of the snap that go on that end, and then glue another piece of leather over the metal of the snap. I usually sand a little of the snap material off, too, so I can maintain as much leather thickness as possible without having a bump from the metal snap. Then it's a matter of letting the glue dry, and shaping the strap to it's final look. Hope that helps. I'd like to see your method, too. Mike

Attachments

• 20171030_145756.jpg
    20171030_145756.jpg
    391.9 KB · Views: 24
That looks like a good solution. Have you guys thought about just splitting the leather, installing the snap in the split, and then re-gluing the leather? Just an idea...coffee's workin'...

hmm Mike, I'd like to see a final product.

Ted, I actually have never even thought about splitting the leather.

I'm gonna avoid the strap for now, lol. But I'm gonna play around with some different methods now.

I think you could make a simple U channel with enough room to wiggle the strap and clamp your skiving blade to the top and the wiggle the strap through for the split. keeps it flat and even. You will never hide that perfectly but if it's cleanly done? Might be a winner....

Mike, I have used a similar method to the pictures that you posted. I have also used 2 oz. leather and just flipped it over on each side for the entire strap. Thus, you sandwich the snap between the two pieces of 2 oz. leather and get the flat clean leather on each side of the strap. Make sense?

I only use hardware in sheaths if there is no other practical option. When I'm forced to use a snap, stud, or anything else metal, I skive down the side of the leather that will be towards the knife/axe/hatchet (I use axe/hatchet because those are the ones that generally require a snap or stud). I then put the snap or stud in place, and cut a small circle of thin suede and "glue" it over the base side of the hardware (whatever side MIGHT contact the knife/axe/hatchet)

Mike, I have used a similar method to the pictures that you posted. I have also used 2 oz. leather and just flipped it over on each side for the entire strap. Thus, you sandwich the snap between the two pieces of 2 oz. leather and get the flat clean leather on each side of the strap. Make sense?

yep, and i like the idea...gotta get me some thinner material.

Dennis,

I tried your method, and I like it...that's how I'll be making keeper straps from now on when I need one. Mike

Hey, again - now that i'm using this layered, two-piece keeper strap solution, i'm having a little difficulty with properly seating the snap "male and female" parts to the piece that has the protruding post (that gets smushed down); do you shorten this "post", as the leather is thinner, or are you using a smaller snap (i'm using line 24 snaps right now). i usually make pouch sheaths, but from time to time need one with a keeper strap. thanks, again

Back