KBAC-27D fried -- useful parts or just a door stop?

lescobar

I enjoy my hobby, and building my own GIB included a 2002-vintage KBAC-27D VFD -- black case with a few differences on the circuit board compared to the newer model.

Pushed the switch to the "run" position and got a slight nudge of the belt and nothing but a red flashing status light. Lost one of the phases on the output side. After troubleshooting, decided replacement was necessary.

Is it worth keeping the old VFD for parts or is it just a doorstop now?

-- Lee Escobar
Round Rock, TX

Contact KB at 1-800-221-6570 and ask for Tech Support. They will talk to you about it and probably ask you to send it in for repair. They have an 18 month warranty. If out of warranty they will probably repair it for less than a new one but if not I will sell you one for $448.00 including shipping.

Let me know if I can help you.

BTW, you should always unplug the unit when it is not in use to avoid spikes.

Thanks for the advice, Wayne. I talked with KB, and given it that VFD was 10+ years old, replacement was the better option.

-- Lee

1234---- the non NEMA 4X VFDs need the ventilation to keep from over heating and burning up. If you want to do that you must put it in a BIG box and add a fan and filtering. When I first started looking into selling VFDs I planned to put cheaper VFDs in a box and add filtering and a fan and found out that the good VFDs were cheaper by the time you got through with all of that.

1234---- the non NEMA 4X VFDs need the ventilation to keep from over heating and burning up. If you want to do that you must put it in a BIG box and add a fan and filtering. When I first started looking into selling VFDs I planned to put cheaper VFDs in a box and add filtering and a fan and found out that the good VFDs were cheaper by the time you got through with all of that.

I didn't mean to imply it was simple

If I were to do it I'd pull all heavy power components and mount them on the heat sinks already built into the case.
The cheapie would be completely "destroyed" to do that.

No it would not be time efficient.

Lee, how much to fix the old one ?

Back