KA-BAR Creation!

HHH Knives

Super Moderator
A few weeks back, I friend asked me if I would doctor up his K-B..
After looking at this knife I was very impressed at the blade design and thickness. Even with its massive blade it felt great in the hand. and I seen immediate possibility for a cool custom handle!

Here is it, Ka-Barr with Cottonwood burl handles! filework. and mosaic pins.

Attachments

• Ka-Bar 022.jpg
    Ka-Bar 022.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 197
  • Ka-Bar 044.JPG
    Ka-Bar 044.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 162
  • Ka-Bar 021.jpg
    Ka-Bar 021.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 124
  • Ka-Bar 023.jpg
    Ka-Bar 023.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 132
  • Ka-Bar 019.jpg
    Ka-Bar 019.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 102
Value added!! Too bad it is too nice to hack on something now. It would take some serious thought before battoning a log with it. Good work.

Paul

Thanks guys, Its getting used! He loves it and its in his rotation of knives he carries and uses!

God Bless!!

Well HHH, I wouldn't go into combat with that knife now!!! It would have to go in a case!!!

Jeff

WOW!! I never knew that cottonwood burl was so beautiful, there are cottonwood trees with multi burls all over this area, well, there will be some C burl in my shop drying before the end of the week, THANKS SO MUCH!!

Original I thought the same thing. I got a huge one spotted on a tree thats on the ground. Randy is this piece dyed brown or is that natural color ?

WOW!! I never knew that cottonwood burl was so beautiful, there are cottonwood trees with multi burls all over this area, well, there will be some C burl in my shop drying before the end of the week, THANKS SO MUCH!!
I agree its a beautiful species.. The movement and reflectivity (Thats gota be a word?!) lol make it one of of my favorite woods to use on a knife.

If I may give you a quick tip about drying it.... Cottonwood is a very wet wood, It must be dried slowly or it will crack and twist and warp badly!!!

The bigger the burl the longer you should wait till you cut it! It almost kills me! Patience is not one of my best traits.. But Iv learned from doing it to sooner and loosing alot of awesome material due to bad fracture cracks and warping and twisting! Thats less wood on a knife and more in the burn pile :(

Good luck, and most of all.... Have fun!

Doug, this set has not been died.. its naturally beautiful..

Im a burl JUNKY! :eek:

That's pretty amazing for not being dyed, I would like to try some different treatments to some and see what happens. Thanks for the drying tip Randy and Doug, are you going to cut the full round out of the log when you take the burl? That is what I would do.

Going to try stabilizing some from both deadfalls along the river and fresh cut live, then stabilize the stuff right away as the nelsonite etc. is supposed to push out the water.

Randy, is that stabilized or dried slow and natural? Thanks to both of you, Dave.

Great job Doctor, I say baton away with it but very carefully!
The natural Cotton wood burl handle really makes it pop! 2thumbs

Back