Just got back from an Auction... Anvil ID help?

Mike Jones

Google Master
Today, my dad an I went to an auction that listed that they would have an anvil for sale and other tools. We showed up, found the anvil, and by my rough guessing (trying to pick it up from the table it was on) it was a little over 100 lbs. I felt a little bit of rebound with a small socket that was next to it, but without having used an anvil before, I didn't know how good it was.

Well, when it was up for bids, it was between me and another man. The bidding started, and it ended at $80 for me. After the purchase, the man I bid against and a man who used to collect anvils were discussing the weight. I said "When I tried to lift it up, I guessed it was a little over 100 lbs" but both of them were positive it was around 80 pounds (+/- 5 lbs). So I start getting a little concerned about whether or not $80 was a good deal for it. When my dad and I were ready to leave, I carried the anvil from the backyard of the auction place to the street, about 1/8 of a mile. I was convinced that it was 80 pounds, so there was no way I would get myself to put it down and take a break 2guns So after we get home, I grabbed a bathroom scale, put the anvil on, and it reads 124.0 lbs.

I do not know what the make of the anvil is, but it has very good rebound (my guess is around 75% with a ball peen hammer), so I think it was a pretty good deal.

So here's a few pictures of the anvil. Does anyone know what the make is? It's about a 124 or 125 lb.

Full anvil shot:
dsc05620y.jpg

Close up of the logo? It looks like it says J.W on the left, and DUP?EY underneath the blocked X
dsc05622d.jpg

dsc05629y.jpg

On the other side, there are two letters that look like "K" made out of dots.
dsc05623u.jpg

I also picked up a draw knife for $2, that could help with making bows.
dsc05631m.jpg

Oh, and there's also a square hole, around an inch or so deep, in the side under the horn, the side opposite that, and in the center of the bottom.

dsc05632.jpg

dsc05633b.jpg

And I found what appears to be two numbers on the side with the "K" The numbers appear to be a "1" on the left side, and a "14" on the right.
dsc05635y.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like there is a 1,1 on the anvil, I know over here that stands for 1cwt (112#) and 1 stone (14lb) so 126 # ...sounds about right, PS, you might want to sell the scales if they read under,they might get you back most of the money for the anvil... Most women would die for scales like that...LOL ...sorry ladies :D

It looks like there is a 1,1 on the anvil, I know over here that stands for 1cwt (112#) and 1 stone (14lb) so 126 # ...sounds about right, PS, you might want to sell the scales if they read under,they might get you back most of the money for the anvil... Most women would die for scales like that...LOL ...sorry ladies :D

Lol! 126 seems right. And maybe that scale is worth more than I thought...

I asked on BF as well, and it seems that it is a John Wilkinson anvil from Dudley, England. Dudley England is also where Peter Wright started his anvils. I would guess it's comparable in quality. So a 126 lb anvil with good rebound for $80. Only 64 cents per pound for a good unit sounds like a good deal to me!

From what little info I can find, it seems that this anvil should compare very closely to a Peter Wright anvil, and is around 150 years old

Man,if that old iron could talk,and tell you of the things crafted on it...

This anvil sure has seen quite a bit of use. The face of it is only a little dinged up with hammer (I think?) marks, but the horn and hot cutting spot are covered in marks. I can only imagine that it has probably had 5 or more owners, all who have taken pretty good care of it!

Back