just finished this out

soundmind

KNIFE MAKER
My third finished blade - about my tenth knife or so.
G-10 bolsters, with 1/16 stainless pins; nickel silver spacer (?); contoured caribou with 5/32 brass. Grey vulcanized fiber all around.

This is going to another bush-pastor friend of mine who does leatherwork. He said he wanted to make the sheath. Knife has something to be desired but I believe he'll be happy to make a sheath for it.

I hope you like it. Comments are welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_0645.JPG
    IMG_0645.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0649.JPG
    IMG_0649.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0653.JPG
    IMG_0653.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0648.JPG
    IMG_0648.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0677.JPG
    IMG_0677.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Thanks you guys. I started it in October. A long time ago.
Oh yeah, blade steel is 80CRV2. Commercially heat treated. 59HRC.

I really like that one! It looks like one I'm working on right now, and I just got a chunk of caribou so now I've got an idea for one way I could go. Good job.

Also, bolster, liners and scales are very neat and clean work. Kudos!
Thanks Dan. Everything lined up like I planned but I have epoxy showing. This is the first time I hadn't clamped down the scales tight enough. Not sure what I did wrong. I remember not being able to see the seams during glue up. Everything was oversize and I had strips of leather in the way. But that hasn't ever been a problem before.

I just got a chunk of caribou so now I've got an idea for one way I could go.
When I've shown caribou to other more experienced makers one mentioned it's weight. On my first kit knife I made I showed it to another maker and he told me not to make my handles round b/c the knife could turn in a user's hand. Hope that advice can help you too - not sure if you have a heavy or round peice.

Back