Just Back From K&G

Including postage both ways, $mid-30's. I have enough in that batch for 11 sets of scales.
Since the wood was free to me, that is right around $3-ish/ knife.
Dan, the price K&G quotes on their website per pound of wood, is that weight before stabilizing or after stabilizing? I was thinking it was post stabilized, but I do not know is why I'm asking.

Am I missing something there? I count 18 blocks of wood. AT mid $30s price for that wood it's less expensive than using Cactus Juice and doing your own wood. I just finished around 20 blocks of spalted maple which was really porus and used 1/2 gal of resin which is about $65 shipped. I only had about an inch left in a quart jar. The wood really soaked up the resin, with each block when finished would either sink in water, or just barely float with top of block level with water.

I do like K&G stabilized wood - K&G does a GREAT job on wood that Cactus Juice won't work with at all.

Ken H>

What wood is it? I like it.
It is wild cherry I cut on my property. It came from a bunyon/burl piece. That is maybe 1/6 of what I have total, the others blocks are still seasoning. I threw this batch in the oven for a day to help speed up the process, but that bit of rushing cost me about a quarter of that batch to checking and warpage. My bad there.

Dan, the price K&G quotes on their website per pound of wood, is that weight before stabilizing or after stabilizing? I was thinking it was post stabilized, but I do not know is why I'm asking.

Am I missing something there? I count 18 blocks of wood. AT mid $30s price for that wood it's less expensive than using Cactus Juice and doing your own wood. I just finished around 20 blocks of spalted maple which was really porus and used 1/2 gal of resin which is about $65 shipped. I only had about an inch left in a quart jar. The wood really soaked up the resin, with each block when finished would either sink in water, or just barely float with top of block level with water.

I do like K&G stabilized wood - K&G does a GREAT job on wood that Cactus Juice won't work with at all.

Ken H>
I was pleasantly surprised, I was thinking it would be in the $50-60-range.
I had the post office weigh it in the box when I sent it, it was either just a little under or a little over a pound as I recollect. I was surprised it was that light, but the moisture content the day after the oven was not even registering on the meter, so I guess the final price was indicative of that.
Maple is not as dense as this stuff was (based on what I see in my maple), so, I suspect it soakes up a lot more juice or epoxy than this cherry did/does.
Your wood gives me an indication of what I may expect for my maple, I have two boxes, about 20 lbs dry weight that I need to send out, but I'm thinking I may break that down into four, 5 lb boxes and spread the cost out over a period of time.

Oh, forgot to add, I believe you are right, price is after stabalized weight.

Thanks for the info - looking at that box I would have expected it to be well over a lb. You're right, a really dry wood don't weigh that much. Does those stabilized blocks of Cherry sink in water? OR - float just level with water?

I have not tried them in water. I checked the invoice, I was charged for a finished weight of 1.95 lbs., so, I got lucky, I have read that it can be as little as double the dry weight, to as much as four times the dry weight.
I'll let you know about the water when the next batch gets back (in about 4 weeks).

Back