Johan Nel's KITH

Johan Nel

I have been contemplating what to make for my KITH mate, John Wilson. While contemplating all kinds of elaborate knives (hidden tangs with elaborate bolsters that would make John Doyle jealous, came to mind. But alas, I suspect that I fall sadly short on that department..:cool:), I came to the conclusion that I should stick with being realistic in terms of my abilities, while taking in consideration the timeframe within which to complete the knife, do as good a job of it as I possibly can and still get it shipped by no later than the end of November. So I went through my little arsenal of possibilities and came up with four possible options:
IMG_20201005_221629.jpg

The top three is a variation on the same design. The primary differences being in the basic shape and intended use of the blades. None of the blades extend beyond four inches.
The fourth one at the bottom is a separate design intended to be a camp knife with a blade of roughly five inches.
Here I would like John Wilson and the Knifedog community to dive in and express their opinion on which design to build please, all comments and critique is most welcome.

The steel that I contemplate on using will be either BECUT or 14c28n (similar to AEB-L) in the case of the smaller blades.
For the bigger knife, I am considering N690, D2, 80crv2 or 1075 (if I can get some). I would like to try for a hamon, should I manage to get 1075 of appropriate dimensions.

The handle material is not finalized by yet, but I have two options in the the basket for the moment. One is some homemade burlap material similar to what I had used before. The other is some very nice giraffe bone scales for a larger knife that I am excited about.
IMG_20201005_221842.jpg

IMG_20201005_222200.jpg

Below is just to illustrate scales I had done with the homemade burlap.
IMG_20190217_154343.jpg

I also have access to some beautiful indigenous wood species like wild olive which has beautiful figure in general; Red Bush willow, Camel thorn, Red Ivory and a few others. I'll post sample pictures when the time comes to decide.

I look forward to receiving opinions and input on preferences from you gents.

Johan, it is your KITH, and I am honored to receive anything you decide to make. But since you asked, I am a big fan of small handy knives. My favorite knives are the ones that are simple and unobtrusive that I can carry for everyday tasks.

P.S. I also like #3

Thank you to every response. I love it when there is good response that helps define the way and helps one to make a decision. It seems that no 3 is a favourite and I will then definity do that one.

Last edited:
So now I had to learn about the giraffe skeleton. I was surprised to learn they also only have seven cervical vertebrae like humans. I thought there would be much more.

So this darn Covid bug managed to get hold of me. I was feeling a bit under the weather the past two days and decided to go to the doctor yesterday. I was promptly sent for a test and the results came back positive. So this puts paid to my carefully laid plans on finishing the KITH knife. I am currently under isolation at home until next week Friday, but hope to then start on the knife on that weekend. I am hoping to have it done and ready for shipping at the last week of November. I will keep you all posted.

Feel better, my friend! You being healthy is all that matters. On a positive note, my KITH to you is complete and is currently in the handle finishing stage. A couple more coats of TruOil and she'll be on her way. I'll PM you shortly to get your address.

Take care of yourself! Best wishes!

Feel better, my friend! You being healthy is all that matters. On a positive note, my KITH to you is complete and is currently in the handle finishing stage. A couple more coats of TruOil and she'll be on her way. I'll PM you shortly to get your address.

Take care of yourself! Best wishes!
That is great news John.!
Now I feel a little guilty that I had not started on yours earlier..

Back