Jimping Preferences?

tkroenlein

I'm going to add jimping to my knaf making. Just curious what folks prefer across the various styles. Part of me says grab a checkering file and have at it. But my pragmatic side thinks it ain't that simple. I think I like smaller, finer jimping round or V shaped either way.

What say you?

I use a checkering file as well. I tried 3 different files and settled on the most lines per inch, I think it was 30? Maybe 50? I just liked that it was barely there, but still added quite a good amount of grip.

I had difficulty with the checkered file. I couldn’t get that first bite. Is there a technique. It was before I heat treated it.

Personally, I think that jimping, well done with a checkering file, are the best of usability, comfort, and professional looking. I've seen a lot of folks use small round and/or chainsaw files... These are often very uncomfortable, and personally I think they look pretty horrible.

Checkering files require a slow and deliberate approach. I always start out with the file tilted slightly, to get 2-3 teeth to "cut in", then gradually flatten out the file strokes until a full width cut "path" is established. Then overlap the cuts, 2-3 teeth, as a guide. Again.... SLOW and EASY. If you try to get after it too fast and hard....that's when you have a train wreck. ;)

Mark, I use a file guide and start mine on the spine edge going lightly. Then after those are done I use one or two of the end of the finished as my spacing guide. Take your time.

I use a Grobet 20 line per inch file and use the same technique of starting with the file tilted and then slowly flattening it out.
I also like to use a file guide to help me get started without muffing it.

I use the Grobet one listed above and I like to go back after said jimping and sand the edges of the spine down where the jimping is located. I just like the way it looks. I think I stole that idea from John Doyle.

The jimping I've done leaves the peak (top) flat rather than a sharp point. I'm using a Glardon Vallorbe #00 file.
Should the jimping peaks be sharp or flat?

I also use a grobet 20 lpi checkering file. And I also do as Ed does, tilt the file to get my initial lines, then flatten it out and use the initial lines as guides to seat the file in.

I also use a grobet 20 lpi checkering file. And I also do as Ed does, tilt the file to get my initial lines, then flatten it out and use the initial lines as guides to seat the file in.
I also use this file. Works great prior to heat treat.

Any more I do one 20 cut with a 5/32 half round on either side. It just feels more secure to me. When I wear this 20 cut out I have a 30 cut Grommet waiting to try. I do initial cut at angle to start then lay across blade to cut down.

Back