It's time to tackle the "Intro."

Jon, you've got a GREAT place there, only problem I see is the snowblower..... I don't need (nor want) one here on Gulf Coast. {g}

BTW, in post #16 you show a blade clamped by the tang for sanding - BIG NO_NO!!! the way that's clamped. The point is sticking out here ready to stab anybody that slips up. I got a few stitches that way one Sunday. Put a strip of wood (I use a 2X4 on edge) under the blade for support with the tip of blade even with wood. Gives blade a bit of support, and prevents any uh-ohs.

Ken H>

Jon, you've got a GREAT place there, only problem I see is the snowblower..... I don't need (nor want) one here on Gulf Coast. {g}

BTW, in post #16 you show a blade clamped by the tang for sanding - BIG NO_NO!!! the way that's clamped. The point is sticking out here ready to stab anybody that slips up. I got a few stitches that way one Sunday. Put a strip of wood (I use a 2X4 on edge) under the blade for support with the tip of blade even with wood. Gives blade a bit of support, and prevents any uh-ohs.

Ken H>

Who here used to hand sand blades that way... then one day you drop your sandpaper and immediately bend down to get it without thinking? Oh.. just me? Figures.

Nice looking shop! Also a well done knife. However, securing a blade like that for filing or polishing where the blade sticks out from the bench is a great way to walk into it. Might get your femoral artery and leave you very dead. You need a knife board under it, basically a board with a knife like point that you can keep the blade over as you work with it.

Doug

Who here used to hand sand blades that way... then one day you drop your sandpaper and immediately bend down to get it without thinking? Oh.. just me? Figures.
I backed into a blade one time that was hanging out like that. Luckily my sense of survival left me with only a pin prick. Good thing I didn't trip.

Back