IT'S TIME.....for another Blade Show!

I can remember a time that the Blade Show was an "enforced" "high end" event. The first few years I attend, it was much more "classy" than now. It was common place to see coats and ties on vendors, and the items offered were basically "juried". I have to admit that over the years things have laxed considerably.... this year, in the terms of how vendors presented themselves, it was more of a "Mall Ninja" feeling, then ever before.

I guess it was only a matter of time. I attended the Eugene OR. show for many years, and for a decade it was the only other knife show to compete with Blade in terms of class, attendance, and knife sales. That however ended when the then show chairman decided he wanted the largest show west of the Mississippi.... and ceased to care about the quality, and focused only on quantity. The show went from 300 tables one year, to 600 the next, and in the haste to fill all the tables, they allowed all manner of "stuff" into the show. It took a couple of years after that, but the knife collectors quit coming because they had to sift through all the junk to find the custom knives, and in turn, many makers dropped the show because there were no collectors there to purchase our knives..... in short it became a "flea market" environment. My last year at that show, I had a lady and 4 kids sitting at the table next to mine.....with a cotton candy machine. I spent more time trying to keep my knives clean from all the cotton candy flying around then I did selling or interacting with possible clients.

I very much hope I'm wrong, but with the opening of a second room at Blade this year, and the descriptions I heard of that room, it points to the same thing happening. That being said, we'll have to see if the new owner has visions of quality or quantity. In terms of being a show's owner, I would suspect that the only concern is making it profitable, and if so, that means stuffing as many paying table/booth holders into the space as possible. IF that is the case, I fear that the Blade Show will eventually suffer the same fate as the Eugene, OR show did.

Of course that is all sheer speculation on my part, and I long for the Blade show to return to what it once was...... the most classy large knife show on the planet, but I also trust my instincts, and have been at this long enough to read the signs. ;)

Ed: It was good to chat with you at the show. I went into the 2nd room and while "most" of it was "junk" (well, to me anyway) there were a few tables with nice folks selling good knives and some nice supplies. One table had some mammoth ivory at a very respectable price. I should have brought some home with me, but have a fair amount on hand, so I didn't.

Perhaps since they've got two rooms now, put the "High end" makers like yourself in one room, and the "crap" I saw so much of in a different room? Well, guess that wouldn't work because we want some of the tools (grinders, presses, etc) shown also. Not sure how to split - but surely there is a way?

Ken H>

Well Ed I seen a few pics on Insta Gram and yes the vendors looked like freaks sad how everything gets ruined by a few.

I'm hoping they get rid of the second room, or find a venue that can handle the size of the show. That was a nightmare for the poor people in the second room.

Great to get to hang out with you again Ed. Your wisdom is always welcomed. Thanks for the constructive criticism of one of my knives, gave me a few things to think about before I make my JS presentation knives :)

About the show, I got the impression that people with higher end knives didn't do so well at the show this year. A lot of the guys I talked to all seemed to have their higher priced knives still on the table at the end of the day Sunday. One of my close friends had 15 knives on his table at the start of the show and was sold out by early Sunday, he had a couple in the $550 to $650 range, but most were in the $200-$300 range. The crowd seemed a little thinner this year as well compared to last year, especially on Sunday. I've been debating getting a table the last couple of years, but now that they have the additional room, I'm sure I'd get stuck there being a first year table holder. I really just enjoy going to the show to talk to other makers and to soak up as much information as possible, and of course to buy some supplies.

Any of you been to the Blade West show? I wonder if since it's smaller perhaps they won't have a "shiny bauble room" ? I'm trying to talk the missus into going as a "vacation"....maybe a bunch of changes coming there too, though?

On their ad....200 booths and tables....how many are gonna be $10 wonders...?

• Shop for knives priced from $10 to more than $10,000, knifemaking supplies and machinery, and accessories from sharpeners to cases
  • Vote for the Best Knives of BLADE Show West
  • See knives entered in the Weirdest Knife Contest—in line with the region’s unique Keep Portland Weird! slogan

I was a table holder at the old Blade West show, and for the most part it was OK, although of a much lower quality overall then the name "Blade Show" would imply. I only attended for two years because I did not sell enough either of those shows to pay for expenses. My general rule of thumb when it comes to shows, it that I give it two chances to at least sell enough product to pay for the show, and if that doesn't occur, I simply don't go back.
Looking at it from a show owner's/promoter's perspective, I would suspect that the goal in mind is to sell every available table/booth in order to achieve the most profit. In that sense, I can see how/why they would allow the vendors/items they do into shows.....

The problem there is that it brings the entire level of the show down the lowest common denominator. People will buy 100 fifty dollar knives, yet they would never consider buying one $1,000 knife...... that means that the higher end makers either have to bring a table full of very low end knives, or take the risk of not being able to pay for the trip/show. My thought pattern has always been that if an individual sells enough product to pay for a show, then it's a success. The contacts made, and the possible future knife orders are something you simply cannot quantify. However, simple economics dictate that if an individual doesn't at least pay for the show, sooner or later you either drop that show.....or go broke. ;)

Ed are you going to be at the ICCE show in KC this year?
It seems the complaints I see on here and other forums is that Blade has to much tactical and cheap gun show type things. I have never been but hope to in the future.
But anyone wanting a nothing but custom knives in a low key setting the KC show might be for you.

Justin,

I've been thinking the same thing. I really enjoyed the ICCE show last year.

Let me know if you will go this year. Maybe a group of us can go to lunch or something.

That is the only show I have been to since its in my back yard. I have only ever been on Fridays to because I enjoy going to the seminars in the morning. Last year Craig Brewer did a slipjoint talk that was great.

Let me know if you will go this year. Maybe a group of us can go to lunch or something.

Will do. I'm sure I'll go, just not sure what day. Last year we went on Saturday so my son could go. He'll be a senior at K-State this year, so it will depend on his schedule.

Back