Is this file a good candidate?

TimGinMN

Hi all, I picked up this file at a yard sale for a 25 cents and and am wondering if it is a good candidate for my first attempt at grinding a blade. It is about 10" long and tapers from about 5/32 at one edge down to about 1/32 at the other. I'm thinking I've already got a nice even taper built into it... but, is it too thin at the sharp edge, or will it be after grinding off the teeth? Is this a million dollar antique Heller that I shouldn't destroy? Thanks!
IMG_7071 (2).JPGIMG_7072 (2).JPGIMG_7073 (2).JPGIMG_7074 (2).JPG

Hi all, I picked up this file at a yard sale for a 25 cents and and am wondering if it is a good candidate for my first attempt at grinding a blade. It is about 10" long and tapers from about 5/32 at one edge down to about 1/32 at the other. I'm thinking I've already got a nice even taper built into it... but, is it too thin at the sharp edge, or will it be after grinding off the teeth? Is this a million dollar antique Heller that I shouldn't destroy? Thanks!

Hi Tim,
There is no collectors market for files so they are worth a buck or two used - if that. Some files do have decent steel and will make a usable knife. Many/(most?) are case hardened and do not. You can't really tell the difference by brand or looking at them. Some guys will say some brands made back XX years are good steel. I personally would not spend the time to find out.

Good, new steel is usually the cheapest part of a knife. Like $5 to $10. Look for 1080 or 1084 and build your skills and experience around that and you won't have to fight with steel you aren't really sure what it is.

Hi Tim,
There is no collectors market for files so they are worth a buck or two used - if that. Some files do have decent steel and will make a usable knife. Many/(most?) are case hardened and do not. You can't really tell the difference by brand or looking at them. Some guys will say some brands made back XX years are good steel. I personally would not spend the time to find out.

Good, new steel is usually the cheapest part of a knife. Like $5 to $10. Look for 1080 or 1084 and build your skills and experience around that and you won't have to fight with steel you aren't really sure what it is.
Ok Thanks. Probably has more value to me as a file that is a shape I don't have in my drawer yet.

Back