Is this a good deal? on a bud hayden

JawJacker

I'm slowly acquiring some goodies only when I find a deal.

This is 86 pounds SG top, horn dressed of knicks and its not far from me.
He wants 425.00 what would be a good counter offer?

Attachments

• 00F0F_aVGxHicF15q_600x450.jpg
    00F0F_aVGxHicF15q_600x450.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 63
I can't say for sure and the price will vary to where you are, but in my area it would top out at 3$ lb in good shape and go down from there depending on the shape it's in. Anvils under a 1oo# would draw less too

Erik

That one has obviously be refinished, and even though it looks nice, $4.90+ per pound is a bit steep for me. Besides, I personally feel that 86lbs is just too light do do anything but "tinkering" on it. Again, just my opinion, but I feel that anything less then 125lb is too light to do any kind of serious bladesmithing work.

Might be a nice one to set next to the vice, but as already mentioned perhaps a bit small for bladesmithing, I personally like the big ones, my favorite one is an old 220 pounder.

I agree that "the bigger the better" when it comes to anvils! My main shop anvil is a 300lb Trenton, but if the opprotunity were to present itself for a 500lber, I'd sure try for it! :) I would consider 125lb a minimum.

If for some reason you really wanted something that weighs 86 lbs get a block of steel that puts the mass under your work. I have a block that weighs that and it really moves steel, much better than my 110 lb anvil. Of course you won't have a horn or a heal that has a hardy hole but that can be worked around. I found my block on Ebay listed by a steel retailer. It was a cut off from a previous order. You can also contact Old World Anvils. They sell 4X4 4140 that they will cut to length to give you the weight that you want.

Doug

Back