Is there any way to fix this?

akey

I bought a lot of buckeye and while some of the pieces have been solid I have some that have pretty large eyes that go all the way through. Is there any way to fix this?
udabe6yv.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sand & fill with superglue. Also I have seen some big holes filled with colored resin

Ditto this. ^^^

I've used a TON of buckeye and even cut and processed whole burls myself a few times. Hidden bug holes and bark pockets are absolutely to be expected with buckeye............even on a block that appears solid all the way around. There can be some inclusion hiding in there, and there usually is.

But like Laurence said, try to match the wood dust color to the color of the surrounding material. If the hole is quite large, it can be filled with epoxy. I've used clear stuff dyed black, JB weld to match gray in the wood and super glue with sanding dust of various colors. It usually works out okay.

Thanks for the input guys! I'm assuming I should do this prior to stabilizing? Also does one type of superglue work better than others? I know they come in different viscosities. Thanks again guys.

Stabilize first then fix the inclusions.

Stan

Yes. I agree with this.

Type of superglue shouldn't matter at all. I like the Gorilla brand super glue, not the regular gorilla glue. If those voids are big, I'd use clear two part epoxy and sawdust. It'll take forever to fill them with super glue if they are very big.

I'd also go ahead and shape your handle. You may open up new parts of the void when shaping and just have to refill the voids all over again anyway.

Back