Is it cheating?

Good comments all, Transparancy is the key!....honesty and full disclosure of all details will protect not only your individual part in this business, but will also protect the industry as a whole.

Consumers and especially collectors will leave our industry if the knifemaker can't be,trusted to exactly say how he made the knife.

Bj

Last edited:
Here ya go.

y5a2aja9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I reread all your posts and I don't have an iron ore mine so I ordered two blanks.
My length of n690 will come in handy for my own designs later on.
Knife makers are a very friendly bunch. I started with an email to my favourite knife maker I'm south africa asking for help sourcing quality metal and hoping not to offend him as I was asking for his supplier.
I was surprised at how happy he was to help me.

I have found this as well. Knife makers will bend over backwards to help another start in the craft.

Here ya go.

y5a2aja9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks like a very cost effective method for cutting out blanks. As a hobbyist maker I have limited time and budget so I use a hacksaw for all my blanks.

That looks like something I should think about.

Thanks for showing.

Always buy Lennox or Starrett USA made Bimetal bandsaw blades. The blades that come with these chinese machines are of low to medium quality.

I must disagree with most of the posts here.

Finishing a knife from a blank is not knifemaking.

Get a bandsaw and do it all yourself. Use real knifemaker's steel, heat treat it yourself or send it out.

Then you'll have a much better quality knife and the pride that goes with it.

:s8957::s11798:

Last edited:
I order A2 from Mcmaster and it always comes in a brown Starrett wrapper. I wonder who is making steel for Starrett? Does anyone know if they have their own mill?

i dont think so. i have been buying Starrett O1 for over a year. most of mine do come with control numbers, heat lot and batch number. i guess you could write Starrett a note saying you are making something where you need info like mill location, chemistry, and date produced and see what they say.

Always buy Lennox or Starrett USA made Bimetal bandsaw blades. The blades that come with these chinese machines are of low to medium quality.
hey,
found this one, http://www.ebay.com/itm/131150970690, looks like it will fill the bill.
what width, thickness and tpi do you use? have found several sources, but there are a bunch of choices. what speed? could only find one reference, they said 200 feet per minute for blade size tool steel.
thanks for the help

hey,
found this one, http://www.ebay.com/itm/131150970690, looks like it will fill the bill.
what width, thickness and tpi do you use? have found several sources, but there are a bunch of choices. what speed? could only find one reference, they said 200 feet per minute for blade size tool steel.
thanks for the help

Check at Harbor Freight, They have the same machine for a bit less? The run 20-25% off coupons in local newspapers and on the net. Many companies sell this model under different names. I have the Harbor Freight one for 14 plus years now.
I buy the 14or 18 TPI, Thats,Teeth Per Inch. BI-METAL, Like Don said you want SLOW for metal. I have a piece of old candle and dress the blade with it as I cut, helps it cut a little easier and cooler. you can use any kind of wax.

i understand about bi-metal, was thinking of the lennox diemaster 2 varitooth 14-18, it is what we use at the office and has good life if you use it right. My question was 1/2" blade width or do any of you go smaller? will check the harbor freight website and compare prices.
thanks

Back