Interesting anvil comparison

KentuckyFisherman

I don't forge, so I know squat about anvils, hammers and such. Nonetheless, when I ran across this short on YouTube, I immediately thought that the forgers on this forum would find it interesting. My assumption is that you want an anvil that produces the least bounce, which means the simple disk of metal in this video might be the most useful. Is that correct? Why or why not?

More rebound is better for sure. The big German anvil in the video would be the best choice then the first one and lastly the round piece of steel. The thing is any of them will work! If your starting to forge spending a lot of money for an anvil is a waste. You have no likes dislikes or preferences. If your making knives you don't need a monster anvil either. The new 66lb cast steel anvil at Harbor Frieght is a great starter anvil ($140 ish), some of the cast steel anvils on Vevor are also good beginner choices too.

More rebound is better for sure. The big German anvil in the video would be the best choice then the first one and lastly the round piece of steel. The thing is any of them will work! If your starting to forge spending a lot of money for an anvil is a waste. You have no likes dislikes or preferences. If your making knives you don't need a monster anvil either. The new 66lb cast steel anvil at Harbor Frieght is a great starter anvil ($140 ish), some of the cast steel anvils on Vevor are also good beginner choices too.
Right on. A crappy anvil is still better than no anvil at all. My first was a plate of 1/2” mild steel held onto a stump with bent over nails, and forge was a hole in the ground filled with charcoal blown with a shop vac. I’ve upgraded a little over the years lol

Back