Installed bolsters for the first time

Jbh blades

This was my first time incorporating brass bolsters onto a knife. I think they came out pretty good. I'm starting another using stainless and fear the peening will be more of a challenge. The pins are a brass alloy and can be seen at the right angle.
Thanks in advance for looking and offering opinions / tips! Damn, I need to work on my photography skills. lol.

1-31-2015 003.jpg1-31-2015 009.jpg1-31-2015 019.jpg1-31-2015 027.jpg
8 3/4" Overall
4 1/4" Blade
4 1/2" Handle
O1, spalted maple with brass hardware

Last edited:
Very nice work and design! Did you use brass lanyard tubes in the scales? They look heavier than what I've seen available so far. They really work well with the brass bolster.

Thanks guys! The brass tubes are from a scrap yard find. I scavenge as much as possible and try to keep my hobby rollin on a shoe string budget!

Very nice indeed! You did good whether or not it was your first or not, even dove tailed. Nice.

Don

Man thats perty. I like the shoe string budget idea. Is a definatly a different look for a knife.

You did a great job for the first time. The bolsters look good. No gap, polished, dovetailed. Awesome.

TIP: Get your brass bolster and pins at the same time/same place so that they match. It is easier to get the pins to disappear. Also, prior to attaching the pins, spin them in your drill press and use 400 grit sandpaper to get rid of all the oxide on the pin. It will help them to disappear. Keep working on it and it will become old hat.

DeMo

Back