info on a 2x42 I purchased

Cameron Wilcox

I recently purchased a 2x42 belt / 8" disc sander and tried getting some more info on it with no luck. just hoping someone here can find some information i missed.

model no. 35122638
code no.p9612
3450 RPM

here are some pics. if more detailed pics are needed just mention it and I will do my best.

DSC_0302.jpg

DSC_0301.jpg

Like it says on the motor - Sears Craftman. Many of us have had and used one over the years. It has it's drawbacks like too much speed and a crappy platen, but guys have come up with lots of mods and the things have turned out truckloads of knives. They sometimes go on sale new for about $100.00

Hey that's better than the new one I just bought last month! You've got 3 wheels, 1hp ... Looks like you've got a good size sanding table on there too. Take care of it and you'll have it for decades! I just put a piece of ceramic tile on my platen face, 2x6 squared edges, epoxy and a safety screw for it to rest on. World of difference!

I have thought about converting it to 2x72 and probably will sometime in the future but for now I think I'll stick w/ 2x42 for a while. also, I have been thinking about a way to improve the platen haven't figured it out for sure yet but I think I might go with a ceramic tile like you said. just need to figure out a good way to attach it. would prefer not to have it break and have a trip to the E.R.

also does anyone have suggestions on where I could get the 8" disks for this? I only have been able to find A/O and was hoping for some zirc or ceramic disks

also, I have been thinking about a way to improve the platen haven't figured it out for sure yet but I think I might go with a ceramic tile like you said. just need to figure out a good way to attach it. would prefer not to have it break and have a trip to the E.R.

I roughed up the metal surface first, cleaned it with acetone, then epoxied the tile to it and clamped it up for 24 hours. I went generous on the epoxy, and cleaned up all the leakage except on the bottom edge (when the platen in in place) to create an epoxy shelf. Then I drilled a hole through the metal just below the shelf, and ran a screw into it with a head large enough that the tile rests on the head which gave it about a 1/4" lip. If that puppy comes off, it will fall left or right, but not down into the wheel!

I read that JB weld is a great adhesive and likely less inclined to be destroyed by heat than epoxy. the screw is a necessary failsafe and will prevent a whole host of problems. I bought a piece of fire glass (*pyrex) for my flat platen.

For the sanding disks, just use regular square sheets of the appropriate size and trim off the excess. Some guys use a "feathering" adhesive by 3M which allows you to remove the paper fairly easily, and even reuse it if needed.

You have one of the older Craftsman 2x42's. I have one just like it. It's fast--dip your knives often to keep them cool. The newer models are 2 wheel and have a lot less power. The "platen" on this model isn't much--a little more than a bent piece of steel--but it works.

I also have a the craftsman 2 x 42. I am going to be buying a new poly contact wheel for it (1" or 2" wide by 5") soon. Going to use it for handles mostly but also maybe to hollow grind.

I just want to double checl with you guys that the shaft for the contact wheel is 10mm right?

-Nate

Dang, good thing I didn't order without measuring. I always thought the guys were saying it was 10mm. Man 12.65 is soooo close to a 1/2 shaft. I will have to play around with a couple things. With the ceramic platen and a poly wheel it might be a sweet little grinder.

Back