Induction forge

MikeS

Good morning everyone.
i have a gee-whiz question(s) today. Any thoughts or pointers on using an induction heater like a US SOLID inductionn heater for forging blades. I understand I would need to make custom coils and put a tig cooler to it. Has anyone used one of these devices? Lastly would I be able to make the welds for Damascus steel. Would it handle canister Damascus?
Any thoughts or tidbits would really help.
Thanks guys
Mike

It can get hot enough to forge weld. It may be hard to keep moving a heavy canister or large billet through the coils to get it hot enough though? You may need to insulate the coils, not sure what will happen if you bump them with the metal billet? One of my buddies forge has one and they use it to remove installed handled by heating the tang and not burning the outside of the wood handle. They use a regular propane forge for their billets. I can see it being nice for smaller stuff or when you really need to isolate heat to certain areas.

Black Bear Forge uses one. You might look for his posts on Facebook. I can't recall if he's done any knives with it, but he does have a video showing how he uses it.

I'd shoot Ed an Email, (available on his website). From what he showed me I don't think damascus billets or canister would work due to small area inside the field that actually heated, and coil limitations..But he's played with it more so he might have a better idea

Back