in process ballpeen axe/hawk

Winterbear

Hi guys don't post much but this one is turning out good so I thought I would share a couple of in process shots. So this started out as a old lousy fiberglass handled ball peen. These shots are still black from oil qunching and tempering 18 "+ hickory handle roughed out to go from square to octagon. Wife thinks I should polish it out but I think I will most likely do a vineger etch and leave it grey. Blade came out thinner than I wanted but other wise I am happy what do you guys think so far?
Chris
rims 012.jpgrims 014.jpg

Hey Chris,
I am with you on the vinegar etch, to me this style shouldn't be shiny. Nice job of forging I really like the shape you achieved. Wade

just watched a ballpeen done last weekend,and with what i saw that it takes to do one you got some skills my friend, great job. i agree with wade etch!!! tell the wife sorry had to vote her down.

Ha grey it is ! into the vineger for the night
axe 001.jpg
thanks for all the positive comments guys this is only my second ballpeen axe and my forging skills are so so, thats why the blade ended up thin. Hand scraped the hickory handle tonight too has mild curl most of the length looks pretty cool but hard to get a photo. I'll put er together for a complete shot tomorrow night.
Chris

I lke the profile & the finish of the blade. I wouldn't polish it.

BTW how big a ballpen was it? 12oz? larger?

I would have liked to see a WIP on that project.

Last edited:
Back