I'm in a crack

wmhammond

I started this little necker this morning. My plan was for a mirror finish 01 blade with a Damascus bolster and a mesquite burl handle. I've got it this far and I realized that if I put the bolster on and peen the pins and grind them smooth and then etch the whole knife I don't know what will happen to the 01 blade in the etch solution. I can't finish the bolsters and then etch them because I will still need to peen the pins and finish them smooth. Anybody got any ideas on how to solve this dilemma? I'm thinkin' I've got to mount the bolster and etch the whole knife and just take what I get with the etch on the 01. Hopefully there is a solution out there. My dog, Jack, reminded me that I might should put the bolsters on so you could see what I'm talking about. Oh, yeah, the bandaid is where I "nicked" myself on my table saw cutting knife scales. I'm really not sure I'm smart enough to be a knife maker. Thanks, guys,

WallaceIMG_0855.jpgIMG_0858.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure if I understand what all your doing but the O1 will turn black or grey depending on how long you leave it in your etching solution.

When you put the bolsters on before watch paint b
Your blade with finger nail polish.the ferric Cloris will not eat through the polish.

Well, the fingernail polish worked like a charm. Got a good etch (haven't even steelwooled it yet) and the steel mirror finish was undamaged. Second time this week that the easiest fix has been the fix. I'm on a roll. Thanks, pettusr for the suggestion.

Wallace

IMG_0859.jpg

One other thing you can do in the future is use small gold plated or stainless screws to attach the bolsters, if you keep them up flush with the bolsters it looks good, or so I think anyway. it does solve that problem, finish the knife completely then unscrew the bolsters, etch, then re-install.

Back