I'm Fullered

I used an old file for the cutter. To use it I clamp stops where ever I want the fuller to start and stop. It had an adjustable guide so the fuller can be made at any width of the blade. After everything is set where I want it I use it by drawing it towards me. It essentially scrapes the fuller in. Works faster than I thought it would. I think I'm going to spend more time cleaning up the chatter than cutting the fuller.

Jacob

Attachments

• 20190109_162345.jpg
    20190109_162345.jpg
    433.3 KB · Views: 47
Well this thread took an interesting turn. I assembled my first AR in 1998. I was stationed at Ft. Drum NY no less. My first 80% was a Tannery Shop casting in 2000. ARs have come a long way since then.

I'm working on a short video about the fullering tool.

Jacob

That would be pretty cool! Have you seen Jesse James’ custom 1911s with his pattern welded steel? I’ve built 1911s, from finished frames, which is quite a task in its own right. (Especially given my use of only one arm/hand) But to machine the upper & lower from a billet would be *quite an achievement outside the norm of building.

Yessir. Jesse James makes some of the finest pistols I have laid eyes on. I have often thought about building a 1911 or a AR but I simply don’t have the money for another hobby! Lol.

@Entropy762 sorry I got so off topic. You get me started talking about guns and I may never stop! Lol.

Yessir. Jesse James makes some of the finest pistols I have laid eyes on. I have often thought about building a 1911 or a AR but I simply don’t have the money for another hobby! Lol.

@Entropy762 sorry I got so off topic. You get me started talking about guns and I may never stop! Lol.
Haha. I do the same thing.

Jacob

A very good video - looks like it works really good, just like they did it 100s of years ago. The video is very well made also - would have enjoyed hearing your voice, but your motions explained the working of tool nicely. A job well done.

Yeah I apologize Jacob. Im the same way though! I was an gunsmith/builder long before a Knifemaker, haha. Great little video. Works different than I thought, but defect! It’s simple concept. Great job again man!

I have one question though. How did you build ANY AR, much less an 80% during the wonderful ‘94 Clinton AWB? I don’t remember even seeing anything for sale until after in expired in 2004. (When I started)
Clinton AWB? Never heard of it. If you get what I mean. Yep Frank Roderous put up a web site. Homegunsmith.com, one of the first gun building sites. Many years ago the Tannery Shop AR castings were about the only game in town.

Jacob

The "Assault Weapon Ban" (AWB) that was passed during the Clinton years.
I know what it was. Lol.
I bought a stripped lower at gun shop in upstate New York in late 1998. The a parts kit from either M&A or Model 1can't remember. I left the gun with my wife's brother(ex)when I deployed to Bosnia in 1999. I got my first 80% lower when I got back in 2000. Well a few. They were castings and needed a lot of work.

Jacob

Back