Ideal press dimensions for a do it "all" press

Geoffrey

Hi all, I am a new member here, I have recently started working with Boltaron and my first press was a simple hinged design.

I tried making a few things with the hinged press and immediately found disappointment in that press style.

I will use variances of the hing press for things like belt loops and clips.

I have read several posts here on press styles, I think I will build a press using a scissor jack or small bottle jack.

Using that style press with a jack must have limitations as well.

What I would like to do is build one press that can do 99% of what I need it to do. I am making knives with a max 10" blade and 16" overall however in the future I would like to do short swords up to a 18" to 20" blade length.

I also need a press that can do holster and mag pouches.

The question I have right now isn't in design/layout as much as max capacity of a given press style. The hinged press just left me knowing something better has to be out there.

My thoughts are a press that is between 8" and 12" wide and 21" long. Those sizes work well with the Neoprene Foam I plan to get from foamforyou.

My concerns are that a 8"-12" wide 21" long press will not allow uniform pressure and might be over the limit of a arbor/book/jack style press.

Has anyone reached the size limit of these "non hinged" presses?

Any info/feedback/results from the jack style press would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Geoffrey

Back