ID? Man made handle material, I don't know what this is.

Burl Source

Forum Owner & Moderator
First of all, I am not a fan of man made handle materials.
This piece of ??? came from the estate of Knife Maker Tedd Dowell.

I don't know if this is something worth cutting up or if it is junk.
I am leaning toward #2. But I figured I had better check before I toss it.

It is hard and heavy. Cuts and sands like a hard, hardwood.
Looking at the edges it looks to be constructed of veneer slices with something like hard epoxy.
The layers are about as thick as a business card.

Any of you guys who were making knives in the 80s know what this is?

bs001_zpsee6bb4e8.jpg

bs002_zps35928617.jpg

Block sanded to 120 grit.
bs003_zpsd5e98b05.jpg

I'm no expert but it looks like Dymondwood. The way I would describe Dymondwood is plywood with the grain all running the same direction. Each layer is dyed a different color. I think it was popular in the 80's

Looks like Dymondwood - also used to be available as pakkawood. - still is very popular. Stable, interesting patterns and colors and VERY inexpensive. Great for new makers because the layers halp to show how well your symmetry is going.

Last edited:
Looks like a homemade laminate. Recently it was in vogue to call such things "Micarta" but fortunately I've seen a pushback against that towards using proper terminology as Micarta not only is a trade name for a specific product but the commercial stuff has a heat and resin processing that's not doable in the home shop. Not that homemade laminate layups don't make workable handle materials, but it's not the same product. With it coming from Ted it likely has some value and probably will finish out OK even if it is a mystery product. Round it over and see what the grain and pattern look like maybe?

Yep, Sounds like diamond wood. or paka wood. etc. It almost always makes a good looking handle. yet has never been a first choice for me.. yet again I say. Most of the knives I have sen made with it. Looks good. :) Sometimes they have a 2 or 3 wood species mix. or just multi colored lamination of one kind of wood. etc.

Reading the two other comments that posted while I was writing, I wonder if back in the 80's the sheets were available with the edges raw? That could explain it and give a "non home made" origin a possibility.

Frank. Not sure. I gave the names. as a example. this one does look home made. :) And I have only seen the other stuff already cut. But who knows if it was availible as a raw sheet at some point? Whatever it is. If ya cut me a block Ill test it out for ya Mark!! ;)

I hear you Randy. I've used the Dymondwood quite a bit and have never seen it raw either. If it is home-made, looks to be pretty tightly pressed. I fell down the rabbit hole of looking at Ted's work now and will be back later.

Mark,
I concur with the home made Micarta/Dynawood type stuff identification. If it was from a large MFG the sides would be clean.
I wasn't a maker yet until 1996 -97 But there was stuff around at the supply houses and maker's shops from that time when I started.

Cut and sand some at a angle like you were sculpting a knife handle and you will see if the stuff looks any good? Like others have said it's not a high dollar item and it may have been sitting unused in his shop because he wasn't really happy with the handles he made from?

I personally don't care for the Pakka/Dyna wood type materials,I like most makers use it when they start and then lose interest as the progress into exotic stabilized woods, Bone etc. some continue to use it?

It has some value? $5-10 bucks or so a block or set.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

My impression is that the piece was too large to be home made.
Looks like layers of wood on rough edges but the cut surfaces look like maybe some fabric layers as well.

Here is an angle photo.
001_zpsddf68cd9.jpg

That's kind of pretty. Looks well made. I'd saw it up and offer it. Ted's work looks good and if not worth a premium it's at least it's got some curio value and looks like it would make workable handles. Then, if you cut it into blocks, you'll find on Antiques Roadshow someone selling mint, uncut, first-run laminate sheets from Westinghouse or something for 13k a pop. As long as they're uncut, however.

Mark,
The combo of a wood, Cloth and epoxy really sounds like a experiment to me. Home or proto-type for factory?

I personally know of no supply house that has or does offer a combo handle material like that?

I can't work anything that has the phenolic resins in it like true Micarta. Nasty stuff to grind! Releases formaldehyde.

Send a block to Randy and see what he thinks of it before you price it, It could be more valuable than I thought?

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Mark,
..... If it was from a large MFG the sides would be clean.

Not so. Dymondwood comes with exactly those sort of edges if you buy full sheets. The edges are like porcupine quills and I don't think I've ever cut up an order without several deep painful slivers. It is available very thin or in thick boards and is often used to make rifle stocks. Knife makers sometimes frown on it because of it's low price, but customers (with the exception of collectors) LOVE it!

Rob!

Rob, as usual, has it right again.
Dymondwood can be purchased trimmed to size or with raw edges like that. Getting it in trimmed gains you some extra material as it is made oversize.
I have purchased it both ways. If you look, you may also see copper braided wire embedded in the wood. This wire is used as a heating element to help cure the resin.

You could buy the whole sheet and then you would get the raw edges. Ruffin Johnson bought several and I cut them up for him. He would have other knifemaers go in to help with it. I bought one sheet once and the had raw edges all around.

Not so. Dymondwood comes with exactly those sort of edges if you buy full sheets. The edges are like porcupine quills and I don't think I've ever cut up an order without several deep painful slivers. It is available very thin or in thick boards and is often used to make rifle stocks. Knife makers sometimes frown on it because of it's low price, but customers (with the exception of collectors) LOVE it!

Rob!

Well, I stand corrected, let me say that the two or so times I purchased Dynawood it 12" x 12" sheets or close to it and saw larger sheets they had all clean edges.

So if this stuff has both Linen/Cloth and wood verniers with resin what the heck is it?

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Back