Ice

Ok...I got to ask, and I'm not trying to be funny here. what do you folks that have to work outdoors do in this weather?
I mean like plumbers, electricians, carpenters and the like do? do you just bundle up and bear it or do you hunker down.
I generally work outdoors for my job but I sure wouldn't want to do it if it was below zero for days on end.

I know what you mean. Tomorrow is supposed to be below zero and above freezing on Saturday. Early next week it's forecast to be in the 50's. Totally crazy.

Doug

Ok...I got to ask, and I'm not trying to be funny here. what do you folks that have to work outdoors do in this weather?
I mean like plumbers, electricians, carpenters and the like do? do you just bundle up and bear it or do you hunker down.
I generally work outdoors for my job but I sure wouldn't want to do it if it was below zero for days on end.

Out here on the ranch bundle the heck up, thermos of coffee, do Only what is necessary and go home!

I live in New York and I'm a Hvac tech. So when I'm on a roof fixing the heat on a roof top unit I just wear thermals, jeans, Carhartt Jump suit, and "hot hands" warming packs, I wont even go to the jobsite with out my "hot hands".
O yeah and you have to good quality boots like $300 redwing boots. My boss actually got frost bite on his feet last week but he had regular timberlands that suck in the cold

I was wearing steel toed Redwings last week in a tree stand in North Florida and it was in the twenty's and thirty's in the mornings, I'll tell you what, when those steel toes reach ambient temperature it's game over for the toesies....it's like an icepack surrounding your toes.

@Volkert Forge i thought people where crazy paying that much for boots till I bought a pair. Bought redwings ever since.
I live in New York and I'm a Hvac tech. So when I'm on a roof fixing the heat on a roof top unit I just wear thermals, jeans, Carhartt Jump suit, and "hot hands" warming packs, I wont even go to the jobsite with out my "hot hands".
O yeah and you have to good quality boots like $300 redwing boots. My boss actually got frost bite on his feet last week but he had regular timberlands that suck in the cold

A little off topic. Sorry!

Last edited:

This should answer your question. They work. Except the mail. There is no mail service today. What happened to that,,, sleet, snow, cold you know. The mail will be delivered. lol,,,

https://kstp.com/news/cold-causes-power-outages-in-the-metro/5227214/

I did not know this could happen. Learn something new every day!

It was a bit warm in my shed today with the guage reading over 38C / 100F. Roads are melting but supposed to 28C or into the low 80's tomorrow with a cold front coming through.

Last edited:
The cold just doesn’t compute when your sweating it out in a long hot very dry summer! I’m certainly not in the hottest part of Australia but our average daily maximum for the month of January was 37.9DegC = 100 Fahrenheit. We haven’t had really high (45 was long term max we have had =113 F) but gee it has been every day hot and very warm nights as well. Still another full month of summer and then March may cool slightly. But as I said plenty of others are in hotter and for sure very cold places so I definitely can’t complain!

That gets cold there for sure. I was stationed at Ft. Drum for six years. A couple of times the base closed down because of the cold and snow!

Jacob

Hell, they closed Ft. Rucker when I was stationed up there and 2 hours after I got home, the snow was all gone!! LOL

Thing is up there they had no equipment for snow back in the 70's cause they rarely seen it!! The funniest thing I ever saw we had a boy from Naples, Fl. We were out in the field on combat maneuvers. It had sprinkled rain and it stopped.

Now I am originally from Nebraska so I know what snow clouds look like. I had stopped beside one of the foxholes and was talking to the two in the foxhole. One of them was the kid from Naples. I happened to look up as it started sprinkling again. The clouds caught my eye and, I said, I will tell you what if it were a bit warmer it would be snowing!!!

The kid from Naples gets all intrigued. What you mean a bit warmer? I told him it can get too cold to snow, the temperature has to be about right in the atmosphere. In about an hour it begins to warm just a little and the that sprinkle of rain turns to snow!! The platoon gets word from the Co. and Battalion had decided to bring us in from the field. The entire base was closing. So I start back down the perimeter and telling all of the guys. Fill in the fox holes boys were going in!!

I look up at the next foxhole and the kid from Naples who is 20 years of age is like a little kid. He has done crawled out of his foxhole and it actually building a snowman! I hollered at him WTH are you doing. He had never seen snow and so he is going to build his first ever snowman!! Boy you better quit with the damn snowman cause if top happens to come by here. You and me both are going to get in a heap of stuff!

I took us about two hours to get in from the field, unload at the motor pool and I headed for home. So it had already been snowing about four hours and the base was like a ghost town. I got to the last red light and the Pinto (boy there is a flash from the past) I was driving broke traction as I get to the red light. Nothing coming so let off the brake and coasted thru the red light and made the turn to guard shack going off base.

I just rolled the window down and laughed to the MP on the gate. I knew I wasn't gonna stop and so did the sensible thing! He laughed and waved me on thru. I couldn't see a thing in this blinding snow storm. Got to the trailer we rented off base and my wife is just tickled about all the snow. She had never seen but a couple of times at her sisters in Rockford IL. Two hours later it was all melting, and in another hour all gone!!!

That's funny. I was stationed at Fort McClellan, Alabama for a short time. I lived off post. While I was there it snowed for the first time in 20 years. They had a company formation and asked one question. Where are you from? Ok,,, I said Mn. He said go stand over there. Then the next guy said Wi. Go stand over there. When it was all done there was a small group of us just standing off to the side.

The CO told us that the fort was closed because of the 1/4" of snow they got the night before. :oops: Really?? Then he said the people over there are released for the day. The rest of you are restricted to quarters. OMG,,,, my ears still burn just thinking of the words that came out of there mouth's. :D

We will see a 71° swing in a 5 day span. From -33° to 38° expected on Sunday. It is supposed to rain on Sunday. What a mess!

Last edited:
Back