I want your opinions

Doug Humbarger

Gentlemen this is a WIP. The parts are just dry fitted together. Still eyeballing everything. The blade is 1 1/2x8". The 1/4" thick NS guard in still in the preform stage. Haven't quite figured out where I want to go with it. I am leaning toward the opinion that the ricasso is still about 1/4" too long. The black marks are marks-a-lot lines where I would make the changes to shorten the ricasso. What say ye?
1010.jpg1010.jpg

I'm with you on moving the guard forward.
After my highly technical annalysis of holding a ruler up to the screen..... the ruler tells me that the guard line looks best right up to the heel of the blade. It may be because of the S it makes. Nice work either way.

Rudy

Yes. That looks about right. No closer, though IMO. And, that is a very fine piece with some excellent stag. Love to see it finished out.

I think you are correct. It would look better if you knocked that 1/4" off of it. I know it's not complete yet but it looks damn good.

Isn't there a 'rule of thumbs' for this? I want to say it has to do with the width of the blade...., I think?
Y'all help me out, with what I'm trying to remember.
Rex
BTW, it's gonna be a beautiful knife!!! Great workmanship!

Last edited:
Move it! Move it! LOL seriuosly thought it looks good but do think it would look better mover forward a little bit.

Last edited:
Back