I need/want to buy a mill

Lerch

Hi guys,

I am wanting to get a mill to do bolsters and what ever else i can with. I have looked at the Harbor Frieght model, Grizzly Mini Mill, Sherline and High Torque and to be honest i just dont know much of anything about them. Like i said most of what i know i will be doing is bolsters but I would assume there are other things i can use it for once i learn more about how to use it. I would really like to keep it under $1000 but that is not a "have to"

what do you all recommend ?

thanks
Lerch

I started out shopping for a mill last year and I looked at those also. I ended up going with a PM932-M from Quality Machine Tools, that I have been very happy with. It was a bit more than a $1,000 but I believe it was worth it.

If you want to stay on the smaller end I would recommend looking at the 3960 from Little Machine Shop. It was on my short list of mills while I was shopping mills last year.

If you just want to dove tail your bolsters you don't need a mill for that.
Just a flat disc with a miter on it for 30 degree dove tails.

Im wanting it for hidden tang bolsters right of the bat, and i figure what ever else down the road i would like to use it for

I to am looking into a mini mill,I can go to my good buddy's shop and use his big mill and lathe anytime I want but I would love a small mill in my shop.

Hey Guys,

Do yourself a favor...if you're looking for a mill for knifemaking, don't even consider a mini-mill....I know, I know....there are a lot of folks who have them, but trust me on this one, get yourself something heavier. By that I mean both weight and power. I've had a couple of differnt mini-mills in the past, and at best was dissapointed. The smallest mill I would recommend for knifemaking chores is something like the Grizzly G0704...OR LARGER. Might get some flak for it, but experience has taught me that if you go "small" on a mill....you might as well "go home" :) More importantly with a mill is to get the very best milling vise you can find!!! Nothing is worst then spending good money on a mill, then buying a "mid range" milling vise, only to find out there there's no way to control/fix the "slop" in the vise.

Hey Guys,

Do yourself a favor...if you're looking for a mill for knifemaking, don't even consider a mini-mill....I know, I know....there are a lot of folks who have them, but trust me on this one, get yourself something heavier. By that I mean both weight and power. I've had a couple of differnt mini-mills in the past, and at best was dissapointed. The smallest mill I would recommend for knifemaking chores is something like the Grizzly G0704...OR LARGER. Might get some flak for it, but experience has taught me that if you go "small" on a mill....you might as well "go home" :) More importantly with a mill is to get the very best milling vise you can find!!! Nothing is worst then spending good money on a mill, then buying a "mid range" milling vise, only to find out there there's no way to control/fix the "slop" in the vise.

I agree 100% with everything you said, Ed. You can always do smaller work on a big mill, but never the reverse. Precision will ALWAYS be easier with the larger mill. Tooling and fixtures will ALWAYS be more available. The caveat here is that mini-mills are good for some stuff, especially if you are into small folders. Having one with the intent to upgrade or add a larger mill later is often a fine way to go.

It is also my experience that most of the Chinese mini mills are poorly-made, and should be considered "kits", where the owner would spend the time to completely clean, repaint and refurbish with all new gib screws, larger worms, and stiffening mods. Then again, our craft is only as precise as we want it, and decent knives have been made with just a file.

thanks guys

Currently I am looking at the grizzly G0705, im figuring i can spend the extra if its really worth it. Talking with some gunsmith buddies of mine I may be able to get a Bridgeport but im waiting for a answer on that, and im not sure that i could fit it in my work area. The G0705 or something along that size i know will fit nicely.

My biggest problem is shipping,I'm lucky that I have a friend with a complete machine shop so I have a large mill at my disposal .we don't have the supply of used tools in Alaska that the lower 48 has so a used mill is like a needle in a haystack up here.

Lerch Bill Kennedy at Yukon had a mill for sale. Don't know if it is still availiable or not.

Bill has sold his sorry.

Last edited:
I know of a guy that has a really nice RF-31 (same model I have and love it) for sale. He may even ship if you're willing to pay the freight. Pm me if you'd like some details.

Hey Guys,

Amen, get the biggest one you can afford, you will quickly outgrow a mini mill, plus with the larger mill you can use full size tooling (vices, rotary tables, etc)

thanks guys

Currently I am looking at the grizzly G0705, im figuring i can spend the extra if its really worth it. Talking with some gunsmith buddies of mine I may be able to get a Bridgeport but im waiting for a answer on that, and im not sure that i could fit it in my work area. The G0705 or something along that size i know will fit nicely.

You should have no problem with a mill like that, other than the typical rough edges on the castings they never bother to finish off. For knifemaking, a mill that size is probably just fine, and the price looks comfortable as well.

Keep an eye on your local craigslist, every once in a while I see a good deal! You have to know what you are looking at or at least have a friend that does. The biggest thing about that kind of a deal is shipping, most are local pickup only. Which if it is a good deal if its anywhere close by. You know working out something with some bud, to help with pickup, you know a forklift, trailer and a few beers for the buds afterward!

One time I thought I would check craigslist for a post vice. There was one up for sale, the pic showed it was great looking and they only wanted $200.00 for it. The post was from earlier that morning! Of course I called and it had already sold. I check at least once a week but I have never seen another in this area!:sad:

Last edited:
Back