I may be a wierdo.

I made my first knife because I was too cheap to buy a good one. Umpty thousand dollars in tools later, it would been massively cheaper to buy several dozen good ones but then I wouldn't have had a fraction of the fun I have with this whole thing...today my favorite knife is an auto and I've never made one. I will, I just haven't gotten around to it yet..

I'm a user. I have only had a few knives in the $300.00 range and none that I have bought that were above it. Spending $700 for an EDC baffles me, but so does spending thousands of dollars on an Armani suit or a hundred thousand on a car.

I appreciate the beauty of art knives, but can't see spending it on a knife and using or not using it!

Having more than two of the same model is also bewildering to me. I fully understand the idea of back ups (so much so that I carry two full sets of keys!), but more than two would make me feel cluttered. I tend to have about twenty knives at a time these days and almost all of them are for sale.

I've carried a knife since I was eight years old. They are a part of who I am.

Last edited:
I guess I'm not as weird as I figured I might be. I wondered about this because I read other makers' websites and they say things like "I've loved knives as long as I can remember," and stuff like that. I've USED knives that long, but "love" was for fishing and hunting and books and women (not necessarily in that order). Good to know I'm not the only one.

To be totally honest, I used to feel pretty much the same about "collecting" women as I do about collecting knives. The chase was generally more fascinating than the catch.

Now relax, gentlemen! I know full well that a female human being is very VERY different from an inanimate object like a knife or guitar. Just sayin'. I'm blessed to have a woman in my life that's worth keeping, and I appreciate her very much.

Last edited:
I no longer collect , if I can't bring myself to use it , it is outta here. I have some Striders , Blackwoods , a Rinaldi , an Elishewitz folder , couple Folts , a Zero and a few Simonich. These are knives made by friends , so to me it would be a dishonor NOT to use them.

I know full well that a female human being is very VERY different from an inanimate object like a knife
So right you are , they are much different , when that knife gets dull , you can make it sharp again ;)

into knives

Jimmy lyle :eek: (shamless name drop) told me that you can eather make them or collect them but you can't afford to do both.
Gary Miller

Last edited:
I don't think you're an oddball mainly because i have read post from other makers, and they really don't collect much. for me though, I am on the other side. I love collecting knives, so i wanted to try making them. I have some high dollar knives from some big names, but I am so over that now. I don't think most knives that I see these are worth the price tag mainly because i know what i want in a knife, so why not make my own. if someone else wants one, I am not going to gouge them.

Wow! I am an oddball!! I have had a knife as long as I can remember. I bought my first knife when I was in first grade at recess!!:eek: You can't do that Now!! I've never really "Collected" knives, although I've pretty much kept a collection of knives. I do love my knives... The same way I love my arm or leg. I just don't think I could do without it. I don't really hunt or fish anymore either. I have ALWAYS wanted to make a knife..... so here I am. Doing my best imitation of a sponge that I can.

Please don't get mad at what I am about to say, just bear with me a second please. I used to think that anyone who bought a Custom made knife was crazy for spending so much on a knife, or needed an "Ego boost". That is until someone I met that was a "Hobby maker" made one and I talked him into selling me one... nothing fancy just a good knife that I could USE. I wanted Carbon Steel, not stainless. He obliged me. I fell in love with that knife!! It was the best fixed blade I had ever owned. He did a couple of Youtube videos and made making a knife look so simple that I decided to give it a try. Ever since another maker pointed me to here I've been "Hooked" I just want to make good using knives. Maybe later on I will play around and see what I can do. For now, it's just the basics.

The reason I've stayed?? Humph, that is easy. It's because all of you makers have been so helpful, willing to share,teach, and "Bring me and other new makers along" so to speak. There aren't that many places that can give an old dog like me the Education all of you have. I just hope I can do you guys justice in what you have taught and shared with me.

I feel the same way. I use maybe 3-4 knives for hunting and about the same for the kitchen. Still love making them, just never got into the collecting side.

You've described me almost 100%
I make them for the challenge and never keep one unless it has something wrong with it. Kaye and I have traveled all over the US with knife money. We paid our car off last month and I'm saving for a newer pickup. I keep selling my hunting knife and last time I shot a deer all I had was an old Buck knife to dress it out. I just want to make em everyday and dream about them every night. I think I may have a problem but I'm not going in to find out.

Last edited:
Why I make them......

My knife making story isn't quite like most of the makers that have posted here, I have wanted to make knives since I bought my first hand made from Jerry Mann, in Montgomery, Alabama. He made an extemely nice knife, I wanted a functional hunter/skinner, he chose what he called a Canadian design, kinda looks like a Grohman, very similar. Anyway, it has been on my mind to actually make them since then. Now that was in 91', I went into the USMC in 84', where I was a "Grunt", for 3 years, always carring more knives on my body than anyone else, but like so many have said when someone needed a knife they came to me everytime. Since the time I got that first custom, I have thought about it ,then I discovered a magazine called Blade, and from there knew I was going to make knives, from about 1995 untill I actually started last year I would gear up and get all excited about getting started, then talk myself out of it, once I would start looking at equipment, supplies just the overall costs of getting started, it would discourage me and I would talk myself out of it. Life happended and many things changed, I got remarried in 08 and I married an incredible woman that could see that I had to make knives, I did the same thing again, well, I tried to. I started talking about not making knives and she, my new bride, told me we would be having a knife shop in what was my old barn, whether I used it or not! So I couldn't talk myself out of it! It was the kind of thing that I felt I had to do, or it would never leave me alone. I had no idea if I would be any good at it, had no kind of training in metal or any knowledge before hand of anything to do with making anything short of basic carpentry. So I was basically starting with blank slate! Which wasn't a bad way to start, I didn't have any preconcieved notions, I didn't do it for money, I did it because I felt like I had to do it or the urge to do it would never stop. I'm quickly approaching my first year anniversary, I will say I have had some great times, alone in my shop or with the whole family, I've frozen my butt off this last winter, because I had to be in the shop, I got warmed by forging, something I knew I wanted to do eventually, but didn't think I would be doing it my first year. The thing that keeps me going is that there is so much to learn, and mastering any of it will take the rest of my life. I'm never bored with any aspect of knife making, because every part of it is challenging. I've done all kinds of hobbies, most of them I've either gotten bored with or found other things to do, but this is different, there is a burning desire that drives me, to make, or should I say create the finest quality, most functional and asthetically pleasing knife I can make, I have made about 10 knives to date, I get in no hurry to finish one, I will go all the way back to 80 grit to get a scratch out, to go back and find another that I missed, in the never ending quest of making one, just one, that is as close to perfection as I am capable of. Once I can do that, I feel like I would have accomplished something. Doing it again and again gives me a feeling like I can't explain, and when someone else appreciates my work, that feeling is an addiction. I don't know what it is, adrenalin maybe? All I know is that it is a satisfaction like no other, I have collected for many years, but my collection would be considered "used". I can't concieve buying a knife and not using it, it blows my mind, that some folks can. At the very least carry it, I have one that is pretty expensive, my former wife, bought it for me as an anniversaty present, it was our 11th and last, she pasted away 10 days later, it was made by Mark Laramie, and it is incredible. It has a Bubble wrap damascus blade, Desert iron wood scales, file worked all over, it is exquisite, but NO amount of money could buy it, it means so much more to me than a dollar value could. Much like most of my collection, mostly simple knives that I gave to my dad that I got back when he passed, they all seem to have a story to them, most of them don't have a dollar value on them, they have something much more important, a history, a history that I can rememeber, and for someone with brain damage that is precious. My collection will be going to my son, and the memories will be told to him over and over and over, so he can realize their value as well. So guys remember that you too will eventually make one that may not be your best work or be a 500 dollar knife to you, but they could become apart of a family's history, and one day be precious to someone. Rex

Rex, I just want to say your little peek into the "why's" of your desire to make and "Collect" knives, is very touching.... Awesome really. You and I share something in common too. My wife saw how badly I wanted to make knives so she took me shopping for most of the tools I needed. A woman that stands behind you is an awesome thing. Some may never realize it, yet you were Fortunate to have 2 such women. This tells me you must be some kind of man!! Congratulations!!

Rex, I just want to say your little peek into the "why's" of your desire to make and "Collect" knives, is very touching.... Awesome really. You and I share something in common too. My wife saw how badly I wanted to make knives so she took me shopping for most of the tools I needed. A woman that stands behind you is an awesome thing. Some may never realize it, yet you were Fortunate to have 2 such women. This tells me you must be some kind of man!! Congratulations!!

Poco,
I aint nothin' much really, I try to be the best MAN I can be. I try to make everybody smile at least once everyday, usually by my own goofyness! Yes, I am very fortunate, in that my former wife recognized my love of knives, but she wouldn't support me making them. Which really wasn't the case, as we had a full plate already, working regular jobs all day and then going home and running a small farm all night. Most of that was her thing, the thing that made her happy. I chose to support her, and the dreams she wanted to attain. My new wife, is the most incredible woman I have ever had the pleasure of knowing, much less have a relationship with! She saw that I wouldn't commit to doing something that was just for me, well...mostly for me. She saw the passion in my eyes when I would sit for hours on end drawing a new design, erasing one line and redrawing it, then sitting there and studying it for an hour then erase the whole thing and redraw it, again. She asked very good questions, like, "have you ever made one?" and "how much do you know about making them?" As I previously stated, I had never made a knife before, didn't have any back ground in making anything at all, so she is the one that took the biggest leap of faith in me. The best thing I've ever done is dedicating my very first knife made, to her. Some of you all might remember that, I agree with you that having a good woman behind you is an awesome thing, but when that woman really believes in you, that is power like no other, you can only understand that if you have experienced it.
I never really got to the "why" part of why I make knives, it was mostly because I felt like I had to, I know that sounds silly, I'm not into the mystical stuff like "knives having souls", or anything like that. But it was the kind of thing that usually within a month or so, I was back to wanting to make them again, then I would spend a month to maybe 3 months, and slowly talk myself out of it. This woman here, (her name is Tina btw), put her foot down, which she does quite often, that's when she told me there was going to be a knife shop out there if I used it or not. She knew, I had to do it. When you have the desire, the interest, and an extremely high level of commitment, couple that with a great woman behind you, success is right around the corner. Add in some new friends (or DAWGS), that will show you a few things and then BE a FRIEND as well, and the learning curve gets a little straighter. I have a new one I'm just about finished with, it is MY best to date. It's not perfect, it may not be the best but it is an incredible improvement over my last one, that in itself is all we can ask for, EVERY TIME! I compare that one with my first one and OMG! It doesn't look like the same person made it, it blows my mind that I did. I'll be posting some pics up here pretty soon, I should have it done by Sunday, if Murph doesn't buy it, I'll be donating it to the free raffle for BLADE, and if I can pull the sheath off like I want it, it will be incredible, gotta run, YALL HAVE A GREAT DAY! Rex

Good on ya, Rex. I wasted 20 years doing jobs I mostly hated, for bosses I mostly didn't respect. I finally got fed up with a bunch of things all at once and decided I had to either do something I actually enjoyed, or just give up and be a robot the rest of my life.

Well, I haven't given up yet :) My humble shop is up and running, got my best batch so far almost ready for HT, and I'm getting the paperwork shuffled to go back to school.

Other than my wonderful kid and a woman with a heart of gold who loves me, nothing makes me happier than working on knives.I'm broke as can be, but appreciating life more than I have been in quite a while.

Back